Little Cayman vs. Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

You need to tip more Jerry!:D

My guess, is that the DMs @ Divi were pretty happy with the tip I gave them last time. At Brac reef you don't earn a tip by telling you are going to dive at LC and then they don't follow up because their equip. is faulty, or when they say, where would you like to dive, you say East Chute or School Bus, or Strawberry Wall, and then they specifically don't go to
either.

Caymaniac:D

caymaniac once bubbled...

My guess, is that the DMs @ Divi were pretty happy with the tip I gave them last time. At Brac reef you don't earn a tip by telling you are going to dive at LC and then they don't follow up because their equip. is faulty, or when they say, where would you like to dive, you say East Chute or School Bus, or Strawberry Wall, and then they specifically don't go to
either.

Caymaniac:D

One word for you man. . .Charter!:D

atxdiver once bubbled...
Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions on LC operators? Good? Bad?

I'd not go back to the LCBR, for various reasons, although I would stop by for a socal call and see Linton Tibbets.

My wife didn't care much for Paradise Villas...you had to fend for your own for food. Since their prices have since skyrocketed, I'll agree.

I've had friends who have stayed at Sam McCoy's and Southern Cross Club, both to favorable reviews (Sam's is the better choice if you want to do a late afternoon shore dive on your own, BTW). My wife's stated preference is to try Pirate's Point next, for Gladys Howard's famous food. Some people don't care for PP because they only do 2 dives/day, but that's generally okay by me...its not often that you get a Chef like Gladys.

-hh

Having been to both Little Cayman and Bonaire, I guess I'm the odd one out here. I would go to Bonaire hands down before going to Little Cayman again. One of the posters above commented on the fact that all the dive sites on Bonaire are basically the same. I'm not sure which sites he dove, but I could not disagree more. The dive sites vary considerably from one end of the island to the other. During my trip to Little Cayman last year, the vis was ok, not the best. On several of the dive sites there appeared to be some sort of yellow cloud in the water, hopefully not pollution from the resorts but it could have been. The thing that I noticed most was the lack of sea life compared to Bonaire..
I had read many posts talking about how excellent the diving is in the Caymans. I was totally dissapointed in the diving on the Brac. The reefs are not healthy, lack of fish, and the dive operation was less than acceptable. little Cayman was certainly better than the Brac but still not what I would consider the best diving in the Carib.
Having just returned from Bonaire this past Sunday, I can tell you that the diving was incredible. The vis was the best that I have seen in the Carib in the last several years. The abundance of sea life was remarkable and they topside businesses have really improved over the last several years.
Not to mention that it is way cheaper to go to Bonaire than to Little Cayman.

PM

I have been to Bonaire and Little Cayman. Little Cayman, hands down. I stayed at Pirates Point. Gladys Howard is the owner and a gourmet chef. This is the only dive trip that I have gained weight.

I have to agree with parrotman
I dove Little Cayman for 4 days
parked on Bloody Bay in 2001
on the Aggressor.
I did five dives a day.

I just got back from a week in Bonaire
and I did four dives a day and I like Bonaire
better than anywhere else in Carribean

I think it is especially good for
photography.

After this trip to bonaire, my wife
says you should not want to go
anywhere else in the Carribean

Reference Point we have dove the southern
sites at Coz, all over the crappy Bahamas, Little Cayman, Belize, and the excellent east end of Grand Cayman

Should you choose for Bonaire, it might be of interest to know that your options in terms of airlift have increased. Air Jamaica and American Eagle both fly here directly, but as of this week, Bonaire has its own airline: BonairExel.
Currently it offers several daily flights to Curacao and Aruba (other locations planned for the near future), so if you don't mind an extra transfer, you can use one of the many airlines that fly to those islands.

SharkOfBonaire once bubbled...

Does S.O.B..........mean - --------------Shark Of Bonaire???

Caymaniac:wacko: :D :D

I have stayed with Gladys Howard (the owner of Pirates Point) each of the past 5 years. I can recommend it without hesitation. She is friendly and bossy (in a good way) and hands down the best cook (Cordon Bleu) around. The place is comfortable and friendly, and the diving is awesome. I have over 300 dives (the Galapagos, Belize and Saba this year), and the reason we keep going back to Little Cayman (besides our affection for Pirates Point) is dive sites like Mixing Bowl and Marilyn's Cut.

The diving in Belize (at least off Ambergris Caye (Lighthouse Reef is another story) ) does not compare to Little Cayman.

If you have the chance, go to Little Cayman. And stay with Gladys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom