Little Cayman vs. Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the sharkman

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Bonaire next, but I've heard that Little Cayman is nice. I've never been to either. If you were to choose between the two (and couldn't choose BOTH) where would you choose? We do enjoy going out to restaurants for dinner, if it makes a difference.
:guitar:

the sharkman once bubbled...
I'm planning a trip to Bonaire next, but I've heard that Little Cayman is nice. I've never been to either. If you were to choose between the two (and couldn't choose BOTH) where would you choose? We do enjoy going out to restaurants for dinner, if it makes a difference.
:guitar:

Well, I have only been to Little Cayman, but I can tell you that if you enjoy going out to restaurants for dinner, that would not be the place for you. There is only one restaurant on the island, the Hungry Iguana. One of the resorts, Pirates Point, is said to have an excellent chef/owner however.

So if it is nightlife and variations in eating establishments, Little Cayman would not fit your requirements.

However, if it is diving, Little Cayman ranks right up there with the healthiest reefs in the world, not to mention the dramatic Bloody Bay Wall!

I would choose LC, but that's just me :)

sapphire

sapphire once bubbled...

Well, I have only been to Little Cayman, but I can tell you that if you enjoy going out to restaurants for dinner, that would not be the place for you. There is only one restaurant on the island, the Hungry Iguana. One of the resorts, Pirates Point, is said to have an excellent chef/owner however.

So if it is nightlife and variations in eating establishments, Little Cayman would not fit your requirements.

However, if it is diving, Little Cayman ranks right up there with the healthiest reefs in the world, not to mention the dramatic Bloody Bay Wall!

I would choose LC, but that's just me :)

sapphire

Could not have said it better.

Hi there!
I just returned from a research trip in Bonaire--didn't get to do as much diving as I would have liked, but I got to explore the topside of the island a little. If you go to Bonaire, be sure to go to Sand Dollar Condominiums and sign up for the cave snorkel tour with "Hank the caveman." Best $40 I ever spent! He takes you into amazing pristine caves--a word of caution--these caves get INSANELY hot, so be sure to drink lots of water beforehand! Sand Dollar also has a kayak trip through the mangroves that is supposed to be nice. If you are into interesting sights, geology, or blowholes, be sure to visit the Washington National park ($10 per person). It takes a while to drive through, and they want you OUT by 5:00, so plan to go early in the day--oh, the road through the park can get pretty choppy, so make sure you rent a 4-wheel drive Jimny or something similar. If you have more time out of the water, there is a road that goes around the salt mine--pretty cool operation to see! The same road takes you around a marshy area where we saw oodles of flamingos! And be sure to peek in the Slave Huts near the salt mine--you won't believe that 8 people used to sleep in there!
As far as restaurants go, there are a good number of them in Kralendijk--mexican, italian, french--pretty surprising! We liked one called The City Cafe, or something like that--it had bright tables and chairs. They had an Argentinian Grill special for two people--a hibachi FULL of grilled stuff brought to your table for $29.00! They also had a bunch of inrteresting vegetarian dishes. "The Lost Penguin" is good for lunch--the fruit salad is a great deal, and hits the spot on a hot day--don't go if you're in a hurry though--dining takes a little longer on Bonaire.
If you (or anybody else) would like any info, please feel free to send me a private email, I have been to Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman as well (we stayed on Brac and took a boat to Bloody Bay in Little Cayman for US$60). I would be happy to answer any questions that I can! I'm putting some pictures on the web--I'll have that site up soon so you can get a glimpse of things that aren't in travel guides (and you can snicker at unbecoming shots of my boyfriend and I--tee hee!).

Little Cayman is a lot like Cayman Brac (which I've been to). I've also been to Bonaire. Bonaire has more to do above water and the locals are SUPER friendly, but Little Cayman will have MUCH BETTER diving in my opinion. People will disagree with me, but Bonaire seems to just plain market itself better than other islands - 500 dive sites were just 500 markers on the same reef - was NOT impressed AT ALL with the diving - no variety of structure and by the end of the week diving was VERY BORING. Cayman diving rates among the best in the Caribbean.

Bonaire usually has calmer water
Bonaire has more to do above water
Bonaire has better restaurants
Bonaire has easy shore entries

Things Little Cayman has better......

Little Cayman has better viz.
Little Cayman has better sponge life
Little Cayman has bigger fish
Little Cayman has more pelagics
Little Cayman has no cruise ships

I'd choose Little Cayman.....but I'd choose diving over food !
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac (':)')

I have only been to Bonaire, so I can't say which is better. I do know my experience on Bonaire was excellent. One thing is for sure. Diving is big business there, so the service for divers is top notch. Eateries are diverse and fairly abundant. Some day I may make it to LC, but Bonaire will see me as often as I can afford it! either destination you chose, IMO you can't go wrong.

Jetwrench

I like the diving on Little Cayman much better. Topside on Bonaire is much better. Overall, I say I had more fun on Bonaire, and it's less expensive. If you are a dive freak and money is no object, do Little Cayman. I have trip reports from both locations.

Bonaire Trip Report

Little Cayman Trip Report

Have fun at either place!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom