Little Cayman update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kklenow

Reaction score
I was in Little Cayman in April, 2002. I have been making my annual trip for 14 years now. One of my favorite dive sites is Marilyn's Cut, where Ben and Jerry, the tame groupers hang out. This year, the duo were not there and it was rumored that they had been caught during spawning season. I am hoping that someone on this board has been to Little Cayman since then, and can tell me whether or not my favorite pets have reappeared, or if they, in fact, were dinner for some fisherman. If anyone has news, please respond.

That's awful news if it's true!! My wife, son and I were there in October of 2001, and those two Nassau Groupers were such a treat to be around. I was amazed how curious and how tame they were, and it would be tragic if they ended up on someone's table.

I can understand why you've been back there 14 years in a row, kklenow. Even without Ben and Jerry, Little Cayman would be an amazing dive resort, and we can't wait to make it back there.

GearHead

Ben and Jerry were not there, neither was Rudolph and Frosty, who live a couple of dive sites over from Marilyn's. I am in hopes someone has seen them. There was also a beautiful spotted drum who lived in a little opening around 55 feet or so just as you drop down in the cut at Marilyn's. It was not there this year either. I was just sick, as they have been regular "friends" to visit each year. I have relatives who live on the island and it has been a real treat to be able to dive in one of the most beautiful places in the world!;-0

I'm sorry to hear about the missing groupers... I can only hope that they are OK. I do know that last year, during spawning season, the local fisherman went wild and nearly obliterated the spawning grouper population off of Little Cayman. Not only did they over fish, but , because of the uproar over this, the local restaurants told them that they would not buy these fish. Yet, they still fished... absolutely senseless! It's too bad that it takes something like this to happen to get the government to intervene with much stricter laws so that this will not ever happen again.

We too were disapointed that the tame groupers did not appear. I did however encounter a very large tame grouper at Randy's Gazebo and there we also noticed that the sea horse was not there.

Caymaniac:fury:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom