Little Cayman Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious ... did they spear, catch or leave the lionfish alone?

The DM's on our boat carry with them a marking device so if one is found, they mark where it was found. From what I understand, they notify the appropriate people who will come out and try and find it and collect it. What happens to it after that I don't know for sure.

I was told that there has been a process started that will allow for the DM's to collect them on the spot.

Some of the divemasters can catch them. Not sure why it is not all of them. They turn them over to CCMI (?) and what they do with them I don't know. They do have some in their aquarium, or at least they did.

Wondering what suit thickness you wore. My dive buddy and I are going at the end of the week and we have heard everything from dive skin to "7mm wouldn't be too thick".

Thanks for the report. LCBR really is a great place.

The markers they currently use for the lionfish locations is a yellow ribbon saying "Warning - 60th Birthday in Progress" or something to that extent. I found one - debated back and forth - and decided it was garbage and brought it back to the boat .... ooops. So if you see something like that, leave it in place ...

3mm wetsuit worked well for me. Others in skins seemed chilly after dives, especially after the 3rd dive that day.

As for setting up gear, the crew had no problem with me re-mounting my BC to my liking. They'd just snap it onto the new tank to get it off the dive deck, and I'd then do my fiddling. And they're not so "Valet" that they'll help you with your crotch strap as well - I tried .... :wink:

The lionfish that were found while I was there were collected using a plastic baggie. Then put in a bucket and later picked up by the marine life researcher on the island. They are apparently being sent back to Grand Cayman for logging and further testing, including DNA. Apparently the lionfish in the Caymans have DNA in common with strains in Florida.

Henrik

Wondering what suit thickness you wore. My dive buddy and I are going at the end of the week and we have heard everything from dive skin to "7mm wouldn't be too thick".

I had a 2 mm shorty and was fine with that. My wife had a 3 mm full wetsuit and she did OK with that. I think the water temps were showing like 80 to 81 on people's computers. I can't even imagine a 7 mm but we're all different I guess. I think the std 3 mm suit would do well for most people.

I came across a marker and it looked like a long piece of gray duct tape folded over and stuck to itself. It had a small weight on the bottom. It had the word Lionfish written on it so I left it alone and looked all over for the fish but never found it.

Last edited:
I was there at the end of April, wore a 1mm and felt fine and I get cold easy. Didn't see any Lions but the diving was fantastic.

Some of the divemasters can catch them. Not sure why it is not all of them.

You have to be licenced to be able to catch them. This involves attending a Department of Environment Briefing & instruction evening, I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom