Little Cayman trip, August 19-29, 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. Maybe time to check out Southern Cross.

Agree. The only thing to note is that SC closes for some period of time during the summer. I had actually contacted them to check on availability for our recent August trip since I had heard such good reports....and found out they were closed this year from Aug. 13- Oct. 7.

Agree. The only thing to note is that SC closes for some period of time during the summer. I had actually contacted them to check on availability for our recent August trip since I had heard such good reports....and found out they were closed this year from Aug. 13- Oct. 7.

Almost the entire island of Little Cayman shuts down during the summer and LCBR is the only resort that stays open, see the link below:

Little Cayman's big summer shutdown | Cayman Compass

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Little Cayman. We went to Little Cayman Beach Resort for 10 nights, with 9 days of 2-tanks dives. This was our fourth trip to LCBR, and we liked it very much. The diving was excellent, and the staff were first rate. They have dialed back on the service a little bit (probably to cut back on staff, at a guess). Between days of diving, you are responsible for your gear except for wetsuit and BCD. I am pretty sure that they used to take care of all of your gear in previous trips. Not a big deal, but I think that the "valet diving" label is a little exaggerated as a result. The water was very warm on this trip (between 84 and 88 F). I noticed more algae on the reefs on some of the sites, and the staff said that they thought that the warmer water temperatures might have been the cause. With that said, the reefs, fish diversity, and fish density were very good. The operation is smoothly run, and it was a wonderful trip. I have posted a few examples below, and the whole photo album is linked here: 2017 Little Cayman photo album
- Erwin

View attachment 426201
076_adj_DSC_5049 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

View attachment 426202
057_adj_DSC_4970 cowfish posing by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

View attachment 426203
020_adj_DSC_4906 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

View attachment 426204
019_adj_DSC_4758 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

View attachment 426205
013_adj_DSC_4670 wreck of the Tibbetts by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

View attachment 426206
006_adj_DSC_5060 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

View attachment 426207
002_adj_DSC_4444 parrotfish by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

Hi Erwin, great meeting you, here's my video. Gil

Hey Gil, great to see you, too. Excellent video. My favorite part was the stingray; the whole video was very nice. I also loved the bit with the moray eel.

-Erwin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom