Little Cayman Resort recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only Little Cayman data point is a week last February at Southern Cross Club so while I can't compare resorts, I can highly recommend SCC.

My gal and I stayed in one of the beach bungalows...very nice. The outdoor shower on the balcony was a great touch (indoor shower too).

I was very happy with the food. Breakfast and lunch were buffets with some cook-to-order items. A three-course dinner was plated most nights with multiple choices for each course; orders were taken at lunch...the menu changed every night. Besides the plated dinner nights, I recall an Indian night and a pasta night...YMMV but two of my favorite cuisines.

Great staff...friendly and the right level of attentiveness. Always happy to help guests. Great bartender, Javie...if I spelled that right. Peter the owner lives on site...real nice guy.

Quiet and peaceful atmosphere. The bar was fun but was far enough away from the rooms so that noise wasn't an issue.

Dive boat was never crowded; I recall their two boats have more capacity than the accommodations. Crew was super.

Though it was my first stay, the friends I traveled with had been to SCC multiple times and keep coming back. And many of the people I met during the stay were also repeat customers.

Liked it so much we're going back in mid-February for a week.

Be forewarned... Cayman Airways is neither punctual nor efficient nor logical nor customer-oriented.

First time we went to Little Cayman, we tried to check in for the return flight after a 10-day visit, but they had given away our seats. They said that we didn't notify them after arrival on Little Cayman that we actually wanted the seats on the return flight.

Another time, the inbound Cayman Airways flight was delayed because of incompetence and so in Grand Cayman we missed our connection to Little Cayman Island by an hour. They didn't re-book us on the next flight to Little Cayman, stating that our tickets were for the flight we missed not the next flight out. There were seats available on the next flight, but it was Saturday and they couldn't make any changes because the main office was closed on weekends. They told us we could wait on Grand Cayman until Monday to work it out with the main office, or we could buy a new set of round-trip tickets (Miami > Grand Cayman > Little Cayman > Grand Cayman > Miami), and ask for a refund of the original tickets on Monday through the main office.

I could go on and on.

In all the times I've been to the Caymans, nothing has ever gone smoothly with Cayman Airways. That airline is a nightmare.

The diving on Little Cayman is worth it though. Bloody Bay Wall has got to be the most spectacular wall I have ever seen.

IMG_1302.jpg

Hi @Doc Harry

Boy, you have bad luck. I've been to Little Cayman twice and Cayman Brac once, both through Grand Cayman. No problems whatsoever.

Cayman Airways is a joy compared to WinAir.

Be forewarned... Cayman Airways is neither punctual nor efficient nor logical nor customer-oriented.

First time we went to Little Cayman, we tried to check in for the return flight, but they had given away our seats. They said that we didn't notify them after arrival on Little Cayman that we actually wanted the seats on the return flight.

Another time, the inbound Cayman Airways flight was delayed because of incompetence and so we missed our connection to Little Cayman Island by an hour. They didn't bother to re-book us on the next flight to Little Cayman, stating that our ticket was for the flight we missed not the next flight out. It was a Saturday, and they couldn't make any changes. They told us we could wait on Grand Cayman until Monday to work it out with the main office, or we could buy a new set of round-trip tickets (Miami > Grand Cayman > Little Cayman > Grand Cayman > Miami), and ask for a refund of the original tickets on Monday through the main office.

I could go on and on. In all the times I've been to the Caymans, nothing has ever gone smoothly with Cayman Airways. That airline is a nightmare.

A nightmare is an understatement. They should be renamed "Department of Tourism Prevention". I've foresworn all future trips to Little Cayman until CA gets its act together which is highly unlikely. Lack of aircraft combined with a dodgy runway situation makes it impossible to imagine that this can be resolved soon.

Hi @Doc Harry

Boy, you have bad luck. I've been to Little Cayman twice and Cayman Brac once, both through Grand Cayman. No problems whatsoever.

No bad luck. They've lost a De Havilland Otter since you went. Talk to anyone at Clearly Cayman about this. It's the bane of their existence.

Just a single data point so not conclusive...our Feb 2022 flights to/from LC were fine.

I wish I didn't read that...ignorance WAS bliss! Say a prayer for me, my gal, and friends...we leave on the 11th for a week on LC at Southern Cross Club.

Our Feb 2022 flights to/from LC were fine.

I wish I didn't read that...ignorance WAS bliss! Say a prayer for me, my gal, and friends...we leave on the 11th for a week on LC at Southern Cross Club.

What time is your flight from GC to LC?

Just a single data point so not conclusive...our Feb 2022 flights to/from LC were fine.

We expect a trip report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom