Little Cayman question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenliger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Going to LC for the first time and staying at LCBR. I pretty much am expecting to be diving or relaxing. And I was thinking at the most I might grab a bike one day to tour the island.

But I just can't help to wonder if there is anything else on the island that might be worth leaving the resort for. So that is the question.

What is worth leaving the resort for on LC?

Stay wet my friends.

Diving would be the one really big thing to leave the resort, there is a bird sanctuary, "point of sand", to snorkel is another answer and that is about all I can think of.

We actually leave tomorrow for our second LCBR dive trip. The first time we spent the Friday afternoon at the end of the week (no diving) touring the small museum and the bird sanctuary. Both are a short walk from the resort. It didn't seem like there was much else to see. I know the front office will arrange for a driver to drive you around the island, but I'm not sure it is worth it. We definitely were not going to miss a dive to explore the island.

I have been several times to the LCBR and folks are spot on. Just not that much else to see there. I know a few folks grabbed some of their little boats and paddled over to the small island and walked around. If you like fishing they can arrange that.

I'm sure this has been already researched and determined it was not feasible, but a house reef/shore dive would be fantastic. I've done some good dives on man made reefs made out of rubble, domes, etc..

There is no shore diving from the resorts on the south side. Barrier reef and current. If you want to go shore dive, there is easy access to Jacksons on the north side but you need transportation to get there.
We usually take a bike ride one afternoon to see the Booby Pond and then feed the iguanas at Mahogany Acres near the airport.
The museum is worth a visit but you need to arrange for it to be open.
The staff at the desk at LCBR can do this for you.
There is also a kite boarding school just past Southern Cross club if you are into that.

Overall, the island is incredibly quiet.
Karaoke night at LCBR seems to be the big event of the week.

Nevertheless, the diving on LC is spectacular.
My favorite activity on LC, apart from diving, is grabbing a hammock and a Corona.

When we were @ LCBR, we didn't leave the resort---heard there was nothing else 'to see'....Now---Brac?, that's a different story....Wife & I rented a car the last half day we were there--ie NO diving going on that afternoon...Plenty to see ie many caves to 'explore', rode to the bluffs(lighthouse end) & just nice island scenery in general....

BTW, take some good pics(topside or UW) & post them here(link below)....Have a GREAT trip---which I know you will.....
Cayman Picture of the Day...'we' need some new blood, dmoore will appreciate it...lol
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman-islands/430395-cayman-picture-day.html

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 05:03 PM ----------

Doctorfish..."Overall, the island is incredibly quiet.
Karaoke night at LCBR seems to be the big event of the week.

Nevertheless, the diving on LC is spectacular."........

lol, you not a kiddin'--it's an island MADE FOR (GREAT)diving..:)...but not much else...

I like to take walks there, either along the beach or on "Little Cayman Route 1."

Thanks all,

I usually cram in so many activities into my vacations I wonder when I eat and sleep. This is the first place I'll be going where the best thing to do is nothing which is why I choose to go for a change. Just hard to settle down. Hmmm I wonder if I can get over to Brac to do some exploring.

In 2010, my son and I visited the Central Carribbean Marine Institute (CCMI) Home | Central Caribbean Marine Institute on Friday afternoon before leaving, when we could not dive. It was arranged by LCBR and was still being offered this February. We also did a Little Cayman Rock Iguana activity the same afternoon but I don't think LCBR offered this when I returned this February, you could ask Little Cayman Rock Iguana - National Trust for the Cayman Islands This year, my wife and I took bikes and circled the island. It was a fun trip but reasonably long and strenuous on the one speed bikes. Make sure the tires are full of air and that you can adjust the seat to fit you reasonably well. Take plenty of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom