Little Cayman question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given grocery prices on LC, you won't save much money fixing your own meals though.

If you tried to even come close to reproducing the kind of food you are served at the LCBR, you'd likely spend a lot more.

I am headed to LCBR in February. I normally bring my own gear, do most folks do this or rent?
Are there extra weight restrictions for the GC to LC flight or is it 50 lbs?
Thanks

John

I just got back from LCBR and I think the cons listed are exagerated.
No one rushed us on time limits on dives. If you were 65 or minutes on a 60 minute dive, no big deal.
There was minimal bar noise except Friday evening Karaoke ( which ended at 11 )
There is a 100 foot long closeline behind the east units with lots of breeze and sun for drying clothing.
You can purchase a drinks package @ 2 per day as part of overall package
The second floor room issue is no big deal as the bags are delivered to your door when you arrive and picked up at end of stay. Same goes for dive gear. Left at the door on day 1 and delivered to your boat.
Another plus for LCBR is the pool and hot tub.

I have been 5 or 6 times previously and plan to return next year. I honestly have never found a better, user friendlier dive lodge and dive op package anywhere in the Carribean. It's not cheap but really a joy to be there.

I'd go back

I think by "limited places to hang wet stuff", he meant inside the rooms. If I recall, there is a set of three hooks outside the bathroom, but other than the towel bar and shower curtain rod, nowhere else to hang wet clothes or towels. Given all the other positives LCBR has going for it, that is a pretty minor downside. I haven't been to Pirates Point, but I have never really read any negative reviews. What I will say is that based on what I have read about PP, LCBR is much more convenient in terms of getting to and from the dive boats and dealing with gear after diving. LCBR also has more that one boat in operation most weeks, so if you end on a boat with somebody or a group of somebodies that you absolutely can't stand, there is a much better chance of being able to change boats.

I was mostly thinking of what to do with the wet bathing suit every day ... and a clothesline behind the east rooms isn't particularly convenient when you're in a west side room. My recollection of PP was that pretty much every cottage had its own line, figuratively a few steps away out the door.

There's also a YMMV in how much noise one tolerates. Our personal preference tended to magnify this, as we prefer the tropical breeze over A/C whenever reasonably possible, which means the windows are open. Join that with an "early to bed" schedule, any night where it is hard to drop off (or if you're just a light sleeper), it really doesn't take much noise at all to be an interruption. With LCBR's layout where most of the rooms face inwards towards the pool & bar, any noise at the bar can be heard...and then, all it takes is one half-drunk "laugher". PP has fewer guests and its more distributed, ad-hoc layout simply lends itself for being more quiet.

-hh

---------- Post added ----------

Most dive resorts, for reasons that escape me, don't have enough (or any) good places to hang stuff to dry in the rooms. I don't know if they actively want to discourage it, or if there is just a nearly universal cluelessness about how useful this simple thing would be.

Amen!

Personally, I have some clotheslines, hooks, and drying gizmos in my travel stuff and generally pack a few things that seem like they'll be useful where we're going.

Two things that are pretty handy, besides a plain old clothesline -
Travel Laundry Clothesline - Flexoline (make your own if you have a cheap source of tubing, they definitely don't last forever if they spend much time in the sun)..

We carry a pair of these "flexos", and have added on at least one cheap carabiner (clip), plus have added a short piece of nylon line onto each end. The double length from having two of them comes in very handy, and our (thin line + clip) accessorizing has made them quite flexible in being able to secure an end onto any variety of items that one often finds in hotel bathrooms, etc. At $10 or so, they're cheaper than trying to DIY.

-hh

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, did LCBR do anything to compensate for the washed out diving? Granted, it's not their fault it rained. I just wonder if they offer anything especially for those who prepaid.

This was certainly proven last week when we had 15-20 mph winds and rain all week that washed out the diving. The LCBR staff did a great job trying to keep everyone from going stir crazy, but there are only so many free DVD's you can watch before getting bored!

Out of curiosity, did LCBR do anything to compensate for the washed out diving? Granted, it's not their fault it rained. I just wonder if they offer anything especially for those who prepaid.

Sorry for the delayed response . . .

Yes, everyone was given credit for all the dives they missed, and we were told at checkout that we'd also get a $100 resort credit for a future visit.

There is a spot on the north side where shore diving is possible. On Thursday of that week, the crew did take anyone who wanted to go for both a morning and afternoon shore dive. I believe these did not count as part of any dives that were paid for in a package. Several people did rent a car & go there on there on their own on Wednesday, but the Reef Divers staff could only take people "officially" once they had confirmation that the Twin Otter was flying (in case of emergencies).

Several people did rent a car & go there on there on their own on Wednesday, but the Reef Divers staff could only take people "officially" once they had confirmation that the Twin Otter was flying (in case of emergencies).

And that is another thing I really like about Reef Divers. They are by far the most safety conscious operator I have ever been with. I would have never thought of that as a reason not to dive, but if the only way to get to the chamber on GC is via a really long rough boat ride or a flight, it is a great idea not to be diving if the flights aren't running.

Back
Top Bottom