Little Cayman question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LCBR Cons:
Limited places to hang wet gear (swimsuits)

In addition to the drying room next to the dive shop, LCBR has added a long drying area behind the east side rooms. It has both rods for using hangers and clotheslines. Both wetsuit type hangers and clothes pins are provided.

In addition to the drying room next to the dive shop, LCBR has added a long drying area behind the east side rooms. It has both rods for using hangers and clotheslines. Both wetsuit type hangers and clothes pins are provided.
I think there's actually been clotheslines back there for a long time, maybe even since the place opened. But not obvious they were there, you sort of had to stumble upon it.

Yes, that drying area on the east side has been there for a long time, but was updated when the resort was remodeled. It's presence is usually mentioned at the manager's welcome meeting.

I just hate the way LCBR looks. My idea of nice is Laguna Beach Resort on Utilla not a hotel... So if you want 3 dives a day, dont like the look of LCBR and cant afford Southern Cross you are screwed??

Have you stayed at LCBR? It is a very comfortable casual setting. Rooms are very nice - Maybe a good Sheraton quality, food is awesome, everything is close, OK pool, nice pool bar (2 drinks free per day in the 3 dive package). IT si a small resort and it is easy to make friends. We had no issues with bugs/no seeums. Oh, and the diving is world class. I certainly found it quite a bit better than Roatan(better vis, healthy coral, friendly grouper, turtles and sharks on occasions....quite a bit of diversity. Of the photos I've taken in many a Caribbean locations, the ones at Little Cayman are the best. However, if you want to do more than dive, Little Cayman is not your spot. It is a small island - not much nightlife or other tourist infrastucture.

I think by "limited places to hang wet stuff", he meant inside the rooms. If I recall, there is a set of three hooks outside the bathroom, but other than the towel bar and shower curtain rod, nowhere else to hang wet clothes or towels. Given all the other positives LCBR has going for it, that is a pretty minor downside. I haven't been to Pirates Point, but I have never really read any negative reviews. What I will say is that based on what I have read about PP, LCBR is much more convenient in terms of getting to and from the dive boats and dealing with gear after diving. LCBR also has more that one boat in operation most weeks, so if you end on a boat with somebody or a group of somebodies that you absolutely can't stand, there is a much better chance of being able to change boats.

However, if you want to do more than dive, Little Cayman is not your spot. It is a small island - not much nightlife or other tourist infrastucture.

This was certainly proven last week when we had 15-20 mph winds and rain all week that washed out the diving. The LCBR staff did a great job trying to keep everyone from going stir crazy, but there are only so many free DVD's you can watch before getting bored!

Most dive resorts, for reasons that escape me, don't have enough (or any) good places to hang stuff to dry in the rooms. I don't know if they actively want to discourage it, or if there is just a nearly universal cluelessness about how useful this simple thing would be. Personally, I have some clotheslines, hooks, and drying gizmos in my travel stuff and generally pack a few things that seem like they'll be useful where we're going.

Two things that are pretty handy, besides a plain old clothesline -
Travel Laundry Clothesline - Flexoline (make your own if you have a cheap source of tubing, they definitely don't last forever if they spend much time in the sun)
Dryer PVC (there's a variety of styles of these out there)

I just hate the way LCBR looks. My idea of nice is Laguna Beach Resort on Utilla not a hotel... So if you want 3 dives a day, dont like the look of LCBR and cant afford Southern Cross you are screwed??

Stay at Paradise Villas & do 3 dives a day with Conch Club Divers - Paradise Villas - Little Cayman - miles better than the Beach Resort.

Cooking my own meals and washing dishes isn't my idea of a relaxing vacation. But if you don't mind doing it, Paradise Villas is an option. Given grocery prices on LC, you won't save much money fixing your own meals though.

Back
Top Bottom