Little Cayman question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nursediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Little Cayman Beach resort vs. Pirates Point - which would you choose and why? Thanks for any answers!

If you're over 50, like to sleep in, only want to do two dives a day (and have your hand held while you do it), and place a very high value on dining well, go to Pirate's Point. If you want to do 3 dives a day, can be on the dock ready to go by 8 each morning, and don't want as much hand-holding while you're diving, then LCBR may be a better choice for you.

One you didn't mention is Southern Cross, which has always been my favorite. But that depends on who is running the dive operation, and I'm not sure who is doing that these days. In other words, I don't have good current info on their dive operations. But all other things being equal, I would prefer Southern Cross to either Pirate's Point or LCBR.

I have been to Pirates Point once and Little Cayman Beach resort three times and we are headed back to LCBR in the fall. I liked Pirates Point and would go back again if I was going with a group and that's where they were staying. But if it's up to me, it will be LCBR every time. The resort itself is much nicer at LCBR. The rooms are excellent. The food is also excellent! The food at PP is great as well. Some folks think the food is better at PP but I'm not so sure. I will say there is much more variety to the meals at LCBR and I think the food is just as good as PP.

As far as the diving goes, I like the three dives a day. Now on the first two dives with LCBR they do limit the time to 60 minutes each because you need to get back for lunch and they are setting up for the afternoon dive. At PP, your morning dives can be longer because there is no afternoon dive. I think the biggest drawback for me at PP, and it's not a deal breaker, is that you have to load up in a van each morning and haul your gear with you to the boat and haul it back. At LCBR you walk out of your room and just go down to the dock. At the end of the dives you only need to take your mask, fins, and wetsuit with you.

Hope this helps a little.

If you're over 50, like to sleep in, only want to do two dives a day (and have your hand held while you do it), and place a very high value on dining well, go to Pirate's Point. If you want to do 3 dives a day, can be on the dock ready to go by 8 each morning, and don't want as much hand-holding while you're diving, then LCBR may be a better choice for you.

One you didn't mention is Southern Cross, which has always been my favorite. But that depends on who is running the dive operation, and I'm not sure who is doing that these days. In other words, I don't have good current info on their dive operations. But all other things being equal, I would prefer Southern Cross to either Pirate's Point or LCBR.

I agree with most of the above except the 50+. This is easy valet diving. On my last trip we had an 85 year old gentleman on the 3 dive a day schedule and a 90 year old lady on the 2 dive plan at LCBR. IF you are only 50 you are probably younger than 50% or more of the divers at LCBR.

I've been at LCBR a number of times, haven't tried PP because of the 2 dives a day - no time limits on the PP dives doesn't buy us anything since my buddy's an air hog. Also much prefer being able to stroll down to the dock.

Thanks, guys. We I think we have decided that it will be LCBR. Also, I considered Southern Cross Club but it is more costly, that's why we narrowed it down to the other two.

Thanks, guys. We I think we have decided that it will be LCBR. Also, I considered Southern Cross Club but it is more costly, that's why we narrowed it down to the other two.

Do you know when you are going?

Probably next spring - we just returned from Cozumel, and the best way to get over sadness of a vacation being over is to plan the next one!

That's a great time to go! Of course pretty much anytime being on LC is a great time.

Little Cayman Beach resort vs. Pirates Point - which would you choose and why? Thanks for any answers!

We've done both.

LCBR Pros:
3 dives/day (if you want);
"simpler walk" to the dock carrying less gear each day;

LCBR Cons:
AM (2 tank) dives are time-limited;
Rooms facing inner courtyard = bar noise
Limited places to hang wet gear (swimsuits)
"Cookie cutter hotel room" limitations (particularly for camera setup)

PP Pros:
Great Food;
Unlimited duration AM dives;
Cluster of cottages (not hotel);
True inclusive (price includes drinks);
No 2nd floor rooms;

PP Cons:
Van to diveboat each AM;
Only 2 dives/day;

If I had to pick one right now to go to, I'd probably go to Pirates (Gladys Howard is quite a personality) and make social calls up to LCBR.

-hh

Back
Top Bottom