Little Cayman or Cayman Brac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaboy44:
I have never been to either and need some expert advice and opinions. Can you get in as much diving as you can in Bonaire?

Short answer is "probably not", because: (a) most people who visit Brac/LC don't even bother to rent a vehicle, and (b), the shore access points are (1) fewer, (2) not as well marked, and (3) generally a much longer swim out to the dropoff.

Overall, this doesn't mean that it can't be done. For example, you can use Bruce's list of suggestions for Little Cayman and if you don't feel like doing high exertion on a bike after filling your blood up with N2 microbubbles, you can rent a jeep for a mere ~$80/day.

On the Brac, B&S or DDDD's typically rent a car for around $200/week, and a basic rundown on the basic shore options on the Brac can be found by clicking here. Also FYI, unlike Little Cayman, at least one of the Brac dive operations include "unlimited shore diving" tanks in their dive packages. Sure, its probably under the rationale that most customers won't bother to use the feature, but it still beats paying $8 or more for a mere tank. Just do me a favor and be responsible for the tanks you use and return your empties, because this feature has been abused too often in the past by ugly tourists.

Overall, its my general opinion that you're not likely that you're going to give up your boat diving to get in some shore diving. That then dictates your daily schedule to a certain degree, so you're probably not going to go too far out of your way to add to it (YMMV, naturally). It is nice to be able to grab a couple of tanks to out to do a "whenever" afternoon dive, including a night shore dive when the dive op doesn't have enough customers to run the boat, etc.

-hh

Hi Folks.

Here is the short and sweet answer from the Reef Divers at Little Cayman perspective.

As Bruce has already mentioned, shore diving is possible but can be difficult. A rental car is the best option but the Little Cayman Beach resort will give you a ride for a fee and provided the driver is not busy with airport transfers.

All our packages do include unlimited shore diving but we do find that most people are tired after their day of diving and not many people make use of this option. We will rent equipment based on availability and provided, as Bruce said, we don't need it for our guests. We will also rent tanks. They are US $10.00 per tank with a refill charge of US $5.00.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Ryan

Back
Top Bottom