Little Cayman, best time of year for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcscot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking at doing our first trip to Little Cayman in 2008. My wife and I are flexible, although we would love to get a trip in early if possible. I have read multiple posts on people who have gone in January and February and it looks promising, although the weather seems to be iffy. Are there many changes in the water clarity or the amount of sea life to be viewed during different times of the year? I am aware that the water will be a little cooler in the first part of the year, but it looks like it will not be too bad.

Thanks...Scott

We have tried different times of the year and have settled on the first part of June. By doing so we are just at the beginning of hurricane season. The weather is pretty stable and the water is warm.
We have a group going June 14th to 21st. We have space if you are interested in joining us.

The best time is now through Easter. June is beginning to get too humid & rainy. The water can never be described as not warm.

....we had a lot of needless anxiety with our September trip. Hurricanes before us, hurricanes after us...we were fortunate enough that our trip fell into a lull in between systems. At one point while we were there, four storms were brewing around the Caribbean. Next time we head to Caymans it will be a month other than August, Sept, Oct or even Nov! Learned that lesson!

....we had a lot of needless anxiety with our September trip. Hurricanes before us, hurricanes after us...we were fortunate enough that our trip fell into a lull in between systems. At one point while we were there, four storms were brewing around the Caribbean. Next time we head to Caymans it will be a month other than August, Sept, Oct or even Nov! Learned that lesson!

We have been caught twice, once in July and once in August, which is why we choose June now!

During the winter months in the Caymans,the winds are more likely to be from the north, which can prevent you from getting to the better dive sites on the north side. On Little Cayman, the premier dive sites are in the Bloody Bay/Jackson Bay area to the north. Most of the hotels and dive ops are based on the south side, which has decent diving (at least for a couple of days), but it's hard to get the boats around to the northern sites when it's really blowing from the north. I'd aim for the May/June/July time frame to maximize your chances for good conditions.

I just had an email from a friend of mine on Little Cayman. She is the manager of Pirates Point. She said they saw a manta last Thursday off the wall and a hammerhead shark. The week before they saw four seahorses on one dive. Not bad for a week of diving!

We are headed to Pirates Point on Thursday. We hear it's fabulous diving and great food. Can't wait

The best day I ever had for viz was on Little Cayman, arrived at Bloody Bay and the DM said "It doesn't get anybetter than this.", it was mirror calm, you could see the reef below easily, the horizontal viz was around 200 feet....it was awsome....when?....first week in April about 10 years ago. At 70ft. you could see some small clouds in the sky.
You could see far down the wall and laterally more than half a football field. After the second dive there were small ripples on the surface and the viz dropped to more like 100+!
I've been a few places, but the viz that day was never matched...anywhere .
Best time for viz, April though June.
File0111.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom