Little Cayman Beach Resort in October/November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has been out to Little Cayman in October or November. We did Roatan (CCV) a few years ago in November and were disappointed with rain every day for a week. The diving was great but some of the surface intervals weren't fun.

Normally this would be a spring destination, but we have a bunch of time open in the summer and fall and thought about trying to make it out that way after hurricane season (or maybe right at the end?)

Another option would be a Caribbean live aboard. Haven't really looked into that very much.

Would just love to hear your thoughts - we are both intermediate divers and we dive cold in California and have been to several areas of the Caribbean, plus Hawaii, Fiji, and Thailand so far. Never been to any of the Caymans.

We've been traveling in the Caribbean in the late fall for many years to celebrate our anniversary, including trips on liveabords. It's a nice time of year because the water is warm, the prices are low, and places usually aren't very crowded.

Most of the time we've had gorgeous, beautiful weather, but we have also had rainy, windy weather a few times. The graph at the link below shows the average incidence of storms by month across the Caribbean during hurricane season, but remember that it is "across the Caribbean" and that is a very large region.

Hurricanes and Storms

2 Years ago we were on Little Cayman in early November and we had lovely weather; it rained one day but that was the only "bad" day we experienced.

Last year we were on nearby Cayman Brac at the same time of year, and the weather was warm and sunny but it was windy and rough; we didn't miss any dive days but the vis wasn't the best and occasionally it was a little tricky trying to get back on the boat!

Weather is always a wild card no matter when and where you travel, but the risks of bad Caribbean weather are higher during the storm and hurricane season. We always buy trip insurance just in case.

I remember years ago I was talking to a taxi driver in Cozumel and telling him that "We have been traveling to the Caribbean around the same time of year for many years and we have never encountered a hurricane, his answer was sobering, he said "You wait, you will!"

December is typically the iffy month.

We went in October a few years ago and while it was cooler and pleasant weather-wise, the wind from the northeast meant we only made it to the Bloody Bay wall on the north side one day out of our six days of diving.

Every time I've been in the Caymans in October and November, the wx has been iffy with strong winds and rough seas. But the boats did find quiet seas in some areas so we did dive. The ride there was rough though but its not a big deal.

Just perhaps my bad luck.

We went in October a few years ago and while it was cooler and pleasant weather-wise, the wind from the northeast meant we only made it to the Bloody Bay wall on the north side one day out of our six days of diving.

Every time I've been in the Caymans in October and November, the wx has been iffy with strong winds and rough seas. But the boats did find quiet seas in some areas so we did dive. The ride there was rough though but its not a big deal.

Just perhaps my bad luck.

It's been my experience on Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac that the dive boats can usually find decent dive conditions somewhere around the islands, depending on the direction of the winds.

On Little Cayman the big draw for divers is the Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight and when the winds and waves are rough - the dive boats can usually find decent diving on the south side of the island, but it is still a bit disappointing because you traveled to LC to dive BBW!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom