Little Cayman as a new diver - what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For no other reason, the buddy issue with my friend was a good enough reason to cancel. When I told her I was backing out, she again showed that she fails to understand the concept of "don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable." She just doesn't get it.

I literally have about 20 masks that I tried that flooded (despite rigorous fittings in the shop) before I hit one that worked . I bought three of them right off the bat . I always travel with 2. I found a second brand that only leaks very slightly (which I don't mind) . Some shops might let you try the mask and return/exchange. My face is quite narrow. Good luck .

My shop does have a good return policy. The whole thing is just a major PITA.

For no other reason, the buddy issue with my friend was a good enough reason to cancel.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision for you. There will be plenty of chances to go here and there. Wait until you are ready for such before you spend your hard earned dollars.

There are a number of places you can go where seeing a shark is highly unlikely (no guarantees). 8 Trips & > 150 dives in Bonaire, haven't seen a shark yet, and while I've seen a few rays there, not real common for me to see, and they didn't want me close.

Richard.

And this means I'll have the $$ to go on the Lake Huron trip I REALLY want to do (shallow wrecks) if it works out.

With regards to the masks - are you trying them on with a snorkel or reg? They can often affect your face shape in such a way as to affect the masks fit. At least there is one positive about this - mask clearing will be second nature to you :rofl3:

It sounds like you need some confidence in the water at the moment - have a word with your instructor or DM about expanding your dives (PS in my experience there is really not much difference between shallow and deep dives apart from you go through air a bit quicker, they may be a bit darker and you might experience being narked - I can't say I have felt it though).

I try to remember that any time I get a little stressed underwater (it happens to everyone), slow down and take a slow deep breath. The only thing that is an emergency underwater is lack of gas (which you should be keeping an eye on) and that is where your buddy comes to the rescue. Anything else and you have plenty of time for action - Stop, Breath, Think, Act.

With regards to buddies, it is important to get one that you can speak to about any issues - they should not be pushing you to do things you are not OK with. We all have our personal limits and they should be respected. I am OK with swimthroughs (so long as they are not tight and I am aware of the exit) but I will not do cavern/cave dives. Strangely though I am happier with penetrations on wrecks (generally on the popular wrecks I have been on the penetrations have been wide enough to allow assistance if needed).

Not trying on masks with snorkel. Once I was done with my cert dives, no more snorkel. It stays at home. Gets in the way.

Not trying on masks with snorkel. Once I was done with my cert dives, no more snorkel. It stays at home. Gets in the way.

I am not suggesting using a snorkel while diving but for trying the masks on in shops. You can try on a mask and feel it fits perfectly but when you insert a mouthpiece into your mouth it affects the shape of your face. Either a snorkel or a reg will help recreate the shape of your face with a reg in. This might be part of the reason for you suffering leaks.

Another issue might be overtightening the mask straps - this can cause the skirt to distort and affect the seal.

PS I tend to leave mine in the dive bag unless I am doing a dive with a shore entry or where I might have a surface swim where they can be useful.

I am not suggesting using a snorkel while diving but for trying the masks on in shops. You can try on a mask and feel it fits perfectly but when you insert a mouthpiece into your mouth it affects the shape of your face. Either a snorkel or a reg will help recreate the shape of your face with a reg in. This might be part of the reason for you suffering leaks.

Another issue might be overtightening the mask straps - this can cause the skirt to distort and affect the seal.

PS I tend to leave mine in the dive bag unless I am doing a dive with a shore entry or where I might have a surface swim where they can be useful.

Ah, sorry. Posting in haste from my phone.

I have put a reg in my mouth when trying on masks. And looked in a mirror. Strap is not tight at all.

And yes, I will most definitely have mask clearing down cold. :wink:

It sounds like you need some confidence in the water at the moment - have a word with your instructor or DM about expanding your dives (PS in my experience there is really not much difference between shallow and deep dives apart from you go through air a bit quicker, they may be a bit darker and you might experience being narked - I can't say I have felt it though).

I try to remember that any time I get a little stressed underwater (it happens to everyone), slow down and take a slow deep breath. The only thing that is an emergency underwater is lack of gas (which you should be keeping an eye on) and that is where your buddy comes to the rescue. Anything else and you have plenty of time for action - Stop, Breath, Think, Act.

With regards to buddies, it is important to get one that you can speak to about any issues - they should not be pushing you to do things you are not OK with. We all have our personal limits and they should be respected. I am OK with swimthroughs (so long as they are not tight and I am aware of the exit) but I will not do cavern/cave dives. Strangely though I am happier with penetrations on wrecks (generally on the popular wrecks I have been on the penetrations have been wide enough to allow assistance if needed).

Buddy issue: friend doesn't know when to quit. She forwarded me an email from the person organizing the trip indicating they had a number of new divers on this year's trip and all loved it. She just does not get it.

I've been in contact with my instructor and she's happy to work with me one on one any time I want. We're essentially at the end of the season for diving here, and I helped close out the local quarry for the season yesterday. Anywhere else will require a 3-6 hour drive, so I think I'll just stick to the pool until next spring. Yes, more confidence in the water is exactly what I need

Back
Top Bottom