List of Questions when buying used DRYSUIT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am flexible about the type of suit, and I need two, since my daughter and I are roughly the same size. Different types of suits would give us a chance to get a real feel for the suits this summer, and when we upgrade, then we might buy new in a few years time.
I want both salt water ocean diving and Great Lakes, view shipwrecks from the outside, type diving.
The neck comfort situation is big, and I am hoping for easy changeable silicon, as I heard this is the least "throttling".
As for underwear, I imagine that various versions are needed for various dive sites/conditions, so I just would ask what, if anything is included.
I am going to ask about returnability, less shipping, but the more questions I ask up front, the less likely I am to waste shipping costs.
As for people who won't answer questions, that is a red flag right there.

Here is one warning. One of my students, a female, is as tall as I am. She wanted to get a used dry suit, and she agreed to purchase my old one. She dived in it for a weekend, and was just not comfortable in it, despite the fact that it really did fit her. I took it back. Being an attorney, she was surprised I would do that, for we had completed a deal. I think most people would not take it back.

. . . As for people who won't answer questions, that is a red flag right there.

Well, to be fair, I think some of those sellers I corresponded with really were not able to recall what brand of p-valve or replacement zipper it had or what alterations they might have had done to the stock size, etc. Some people may own several drysuits, and the one they're selling may not be one they have good recollection/records for. I think making the deal contingent on returnability would be optimal if you can persuade your seller.

Sorry for the hijack but on the same topic of used dry suits, how old is too old? In my case I took a chance and bought a completely unused DUI Seal TLS on eBay. The seller (veterans charity in SF) was completely honest and I could clearly see the manufacturing date was 2002. It was a good enough deal that if it doesn't work out I'll chalk it up to being a donation. I received the suit and it truly has never seen water, all warning stickers still in place.I knew the latex seals would be junk and they did rip when stretched, I am awaiting the replacements from DRIS and will see what I have after I get the seals in.

My question for someone with experience is, do you think the suit material and seam seals will have degraded to the point of being a problem? The only thing I have done at this point is the flashlight inside the suit check and it looks ok but wondering what will happen when it is stressed.

Last edited:
I am looking at Used Drysuits online and I am starting a list of questions to ask up front;
1. Exact make and model
2. Year it was purchased
3. Still under warrenty and does the warrenty transfer
4. Recently serviced
5. Type of zipper installed
6. Type of pee valve installed
7. Type of foot, sock or boot
8. Condition, any leaks, repairs, worn spots, fades, cracking
9. Type of neck and wrist seals installed and condition
10. Comes with fleece underwear?
11. Pockets installed
12. Repair kit?
Can anyone add to this list?
Thank you!

You need to know how many dives it's had. Zippers, seals and the inflator mechanism have a limited life span. After about 500-700 dives depending on how well it was maintained everything should have been replaced or you'll end up being the one who does it.

R..

Back
Top Bottom