List of drysuit candidates, thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yes, another drysuit commentary thread!

I plan to get a new suit soon. For various reasons, I am looking at the list below, or other products from these manufacturers only. I would appreciate any comments, especially direct comparisons. (I'm going to try and get to see these, but I will be buying online and I don't want to harvest bad karma by wasting a dive shop's time.)

I dive in water that is 45-55F. My current suit is a Bare CD4, under which I wear a thin Tilos thermal. (100g ?) I am replacing it mostly for fit, but I am also kind of tired of the heavy, sort of inflexible 4mm compressed neoprene. I also want front entry, suspenders, and pockets.

I am leaning towards a bag suit, as I seem to be a person who is less cold-sensitive, but a thinner crushed neoprene product might work too. Mainly I want something comfortable, flexible, and reliable, with front entry. Durability is not so important. I won't be crawling in wrecks or oyster beds.

Pinnacle Evolution 2 (costs the least)
Bare XCD2 Tech, Bare HD Trilam Tech, DUI CNSE, DUI TLS350 (these cost more)
DUI CLX450, DUI CF200X (these cost more still)
DUI 50/50 (costs the most)

DUI's product range is pretty bewildering!

I'm most interested in the Pinnacle and Bare products, because they have a wider range of stock sizes. Getting a DUI to fit me will require alterations and cost more. (I'm kind of XL-short.) But I'm open to the idea if there is a good value for the money there.

The Pinnacle has a great rep here for value--and since I definitely want suspenders and bellows pockets, those would be extra expenses on the other suits. On paper, the Pinnacle really looks like it beats more expensive suits. (And Bare's suspenders are s'posed to suck, too.)

I think the products that seem most appealing are the Evo 2, the XCD2 Tech, the HD Trilam Tech, and the CNSE. That's 2 'bag' suits and 2 made with thin compressed neoprene.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I'm going to try and get to see these, but I will be buying online...

...I don't want to harvest bad karma by wasting a dive shop's time...

...I am replacing it mostly for fit...

...Mainly I want something comfortable...

...they have a wider range of stock sizes...

...getting a DUI to fit me will require alterations and cost more...

...I'm kind of XL-short...

Sort of sounds like the chances of you getting a stock size suit that fits you correctly on-line - presumably without trying it on - are about ZERO.

I wouldn't buy a drysuit without trying it on.

BTW - I wear a TLS350 stock L, which on paper should not fit me but in reallity fits like custom. My previous BARE (bought on line without ever trying it on) fit me perfectly "on paper" but quite poorly in real life!

Yes, another dry suit commentary thread!

I plan to get a new suit soon. For various reasons, I am looking at the list below, or other products from these manufacturers only. I would appreciate any comments, especially direct comparisons. (I'm going to try and get to see these, but I will be buying on line and I don't want to harvest bad karma by wasting a dive shop's time.)

I dive in water that is 45-55F. My current suit is a Bare CD4, under which I wear a thin Tilos thermal. (100g ?) I am replacing it mostly for fit, but I am also kind of tired of the heavy, sort of inflexible 4mm compressed neoprene. I also want front entry, suspenders, and pockets.

I am leaning toward a bag suit, as I seem to be a person who is less cold-sensitive, but a thinner crushed neoprene product might work too. Mainly I want something comfortable, flexible, and reliable, with front entry. Durability is not so important. I won't be crawling in wrecks or oyster beds.

Pinnacle Evolution 2 (costs the least)
Bare XCD2 Tech, Bare HD Trilam Tech, DUI CNSE, DUI TLS350 (these cost more)
DUI CLX450, DUI CF200X (these cost more still)
DUI 50/50 (costs the most)

DUI's product range is pretty bewildering!

I'm most interested in the Pinnacle and Bare products, because they have a wider range of stock sizes. Getting a DUI to fit me will require alterations and cost more. (I'm kind of XL-short.) But I'm open to the idea if there is a good value for the money there.

The Pinnacle has a great rep here for value--and since I definitely want suspenders and bellows pockets, those would be extra expenses on the other suits. On paper, the Pinnacle really looks like it beats more expensive suits. (And Bare's suspenders are s'posed to suck, too.)

I think the products that seem most appealing are the Evo 2, the XCD2 Tech, the HD Trilam Tech, and the CNSE. That's 2 'bag' suits and 2 made with thin compressed neoprene.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

As far as trying on DUI dry suits try to see if there is a DUI Dog Days event within reasonable driving distance.

DUI brings a trailer load of suits underwear etc to the event. They size you and let actually dive with the suits you try on.

The cost is usually something like $13 for the day on the day of the event or $8 in advance plus any regular admission charge if applicable (quarries etc). They also usually serve a lunch that is included in the price.

You live in Washington state right. Why not just drive over to Divetank(there store goes by a different name though) in Vancouver an dtry on their suits, I believe they carry bare, dui and I believe pinnacle.

Steve

A trip to Divetank isn't a bad idea, since that's where I'd likely be buying anyway.

Yup and for the amount youa re going to save onteh dry suit versus another shop, I saved alot on buyign my dui from them, nobody in town could even come close. Anyways I wish I lived in Victoria still, I would be over at there shop in Vancouver all the time. I think the actual shops name is Vast Venture or something along those lines.

Steve

BARE in my opinion offers your best value for a quality dry suit going.

Forget about the prices until you visit Divetank. They will shock you with the deals they have at times. I saved 800 with my purchase there.

BARE in my opinion offers your best value for a quality dry suit going.

I completely agree. Quite a few members from our local dive club have Bare suits and everyone that I've spoken to loves their suit. I have the Bare Trilam HD Tech and I love it. Outstanding quality and it has ALWAYS been dry. I have around 40 dives on it since March.

I do know a couple of folks who have the Pinnacle Evo or Evo 2 and they're also pleased with their suit.

My advice would be to go with the Bare, but I am biased being a happy owner of one myself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom