List of dive destinations to not go to...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO you can not base your choice for a dive trip based solely on the cost. I know that you have to take that into consideration for sure. We tried various locations based on " it's a fairly cheap dive trip" and basically wasted our money. If we had saved that money and put it towards a quality trip we would have been better off. In your initial post you lumped Galapagos with Cocos and Socorros. I can speak from experience for Galapagos and Cocos. Galapagos was COMPLETELY worth the money! Topside and underwater it was AMAZING!!!! Cocos was a fun trip but in no way did it compare to the Galapagos. Someone else might have had a totally different experience in these locations but I feel you can not mark them off of the list based on money! Maybe you can hold off on some " cheaper" locations and save your money to dive some of the locations you have written off! Just saying....

Yes I totally agree with the Galapagos analogy. I also agree that cheap is not always the way to go. My point was that by putting over-all costs next to all the dive destinations of the world, it becomes shockingly apparent that a lot of far away "exotic locations" (that people fantasize about going to all their lives but rarely ever go to) are in fact cheaper to get to and dive than the frequently dived closer ones. Here are a few examples:

1. I wanted to do Tiger shark photography. If done through Stuart Cove in Bahamas, their tiger beach dives would cost me more than 1800 USD for 6 days of diving with 2 tank dives per day. Here is the math:

Flight to Bahamas = 350
Dive and Stay with shark dives 1800 =
Total Cost = 2150 (ball-park figure)

I could not have imagined in my wildest fantasies that the cost of flying to South Africa where Shark week is being filmed and doing a shark week package would be equal to the above and possibly a little less! Here is the math:

Flight to SA = 1200
1 week of shark diving with lodging= 1000 (less if you select lower accommodation options).
Total Cost = 2200

Plus there were additional benefits in SA such as they were also including caged dives with Great Whites in the same money and some places would also refund your money if sharks were not seen. Food prices were so minimal that it was a non-issue.

Example 2: After I posted the list of destinations with numbers and costs, I was contacted by someone who brought Mozambique to my attention. He told me that for whale shark diving it would be cheaper for me to fly to Mozambique than to Honduras or Belize. Here was the math:

Flight to Mozambique 1269
Dive and Stay (Tofu Beach - whale shark location) = 1000
Total Cost = 2269

This is the cost of lower end dive packages to the Caribbean where whale shark sighting probability seems to be less than Tofu beach in Mozambique.

Example 3: Egyptian luxury liveaboard becomes possible in as less money as Bahamas liveaboard even though Bahamas is my backyard and Egypt is far away. Here is the math if you would like to compare:

Flight to Nassau 350
Aqua Cat (shared) - 1500
Total Cost = 1850 plus some port fee etc

Flight to Sharm 1100
Liveaboard Emperor= 700 USD
Total Cost 1800

Do keep in mind that the price I am quoting is the advertised one and because of the recent unrest in Egypt, some places are offering better deals than above but you would have to email them.

As you can see I am not saying that inferior destinations should be selected because they are cheaper. I am saying that better, more exotic ones be selected because they are cheaper! Our US dollar becomes gold when we land in Africa and parts of Asia. In Bahamas / Caribbean the currency conversion does not benefit the American tourist as much regardless of how good or bad the diving is. There is the obvious advantage of quick flights when we travel to Caribbean so if that is the factor in destination selection, then it is understandable.

Last edited:
Is this news?--that the Caribbean is relatively expensive as world destinations go, and if an American living on the East Coast can find a good airfare he can travel to Egypt, South Africa, etc., and dive for not much more than what he'd spend in the Caribbean? Yes, the Caribbean can be expensive.

Is this news?--that the Caribbean is relatively expensive as world destinations go, and if an American living on the East Coast can find a good airfare he can travel to Egypt, South Africa, etc., and dive for not much more than what he'd spend in the Caribbean? Yes, the Caribbean can be expensive.

In fact he could dive those places for a little less than the Caribbean but yes you seem to be getting the point. :)

What about the travel time/days ?

For people who work, vacation days are limited. If you live in the US, a week in the Caribbean usually means 5 vacation days. Travel Saturday/Saturday, vacation days Mon-Fri. A trip to Thailand might be cheaper, but it will require a lot more vacation days. A week diving in Thailand could mean 8-10 vacation days because of the travel time and time zone changes.

In addition, people request vacation. Your employer needs to approve your request. One week (5 continuous days) is kind of typical. A 8-10 day vacation is not always easy to get approved.

In fact he could dive those places for a little less than the Caribbean but yes you seem to be getting the point. :)

No, I still don't get the point of this thread, unless the point is that there are a few people out there who are not familiar with the idea of monitoring airfares to faraway/"exotic" (to us North Americans) yet inexpensive dive destinations.

It IS kind of sad to see that most of the ads in North American dive magazines are for expensive Caribbean destinations and luxe Indo-Pacific liveaboards rather than places like Egypt. Europeans have long known that Egypt is inexpensive--and it's only become more so of late. The only obstacle we North Americans need to overcome is the airfare (and time off from work, if required), and there are airfare sales all the time.

No, I still don't get the point of this thread, unless the point is that there are a few people out there who are not familiar with the idea of monitoring airfares to faraway/"exotic" (to us North Americans) yet inexpensive dive destinations.

FYI ... I am not using "discounted airfares" or "deals" to make my point. Without any airfare discounts, these places tend to be at the same price bracket than the Caribbean. I am happy to see that someone already knew this all along and is finally starting to agree with me :D

FYI ... I am not using "discounted airfares" or "deals" to make my point. Without any airfare discounts, these places tend to be at the same price bracket than the Caribbean. I am happy to see that someone already knew this all along and is finally starting to agree with me :D

I doubt anybody is agreeing that you're original list is a list of dive destinations to not go to...

Economy class fare for JFK-JNB probably runs around $2,000 if you're not taking advantage of discounted economy seats (that is, buy in advance, etc.) and planning your trip for the less expensive times of year. But there are times of year when $1,200 is readily found--agreed. <Yawn>

But if $1200 fare is available, is it the best time of year to go? Apples to apples.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom