List and features of jet fin clones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dug out my Scubapro "Sea Wings" with the clear polymer blades that superseded the white plastic bladed versions. These fins still scratch, but have a clear scratch and many manufacturers adopted this material including Tekna and Oceanic. This was the era of candy apple colors and clear plastics also used in snorkel barrels and mask frames.

Note that the vents are not venturi tunnels as the lower edges of the rear blade are cut back in the corners and although intended as a clipped and squared off Jetfin successor they did not operate in that manner. They were OK, but not a stand out fin and I found them rather weak. However while some thought them lacking aesthetic appeal (the cosmetics) I considered them highly sculptural especially in this see through form which shows the interlinked structure of the blades.
Scubapro Sea Wing.jpg

Scubapro Sea Wing vents.jpg
Scubapro Sea Wing entry.jpg
Scubapro Sea Wing toe opening.jpg

To make the blade bend more so that a greater area pushed rearwards the blade ribs are notched to create a hinge point just down from the toe with the flexing section spread out over three notches top and bottom. Not a great idea as fins can fatigue at these hinge points.

Although a mold insert would need to have been redesigned to create the three tunnels and then withdraw it in order to extract the fin from the molding die the “Sea Wing” may have been a much better fin with venturi jet action.
Scubapro Sea Wing vents extended.jpg

I think this design is originally the poseidon trident if i'm not mistaken? Taiwanese company Saekodive makes a dirt cheap copy of these with a relatively soft blade for 70 euros iirc.

A popular choice here is the mares power plana ( it does not have the 'jet action, but is also a heavy popular drysuit choice). I currently dive these because there was no scuba Shack in my vincinity which had jetfins in a size big enough for me and the foot pockets are massive on the mares.

If I could choose my next fin I would probably go for the saekodives ( de profundis or however you wanna call the Company). They are shorter than jets and power planas, nice and soft which is more comfortable for me. I

One thing that has always bothered me though is that there is 0 evidence that the jets improve any performance whatsoever. Same goes with the holes in my power plana. If a scuba manufacturer made a non vented heavy fin with thick siderails, I would probably go for that one diving dry.

During the vented fin craze Dacor experimented with a number of fin designs and settled on a non-vented "Turbo-Fin" with thick side ribs and a central strake on both surfaces. These rubber fins were made in Italy, as were many "brand name" fins in those days (the seventies). Later when marketing pressure became irresistible they produced a "Turbo II" vented fin with four windows, but no blade overlap.
Dacor Turbo Fin.jpg

Dacor Turbo II FIN.jpg

IMG_2475.JPG

Here is the Poseidon Trident XXL entry -- chosen for its ample foot pocket, for my mondo rock boots; though I do have old Scubpro and DGX versions as well . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom