Liquivision vs. Shearwater dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have the Shearwater petrel.

Easy to read screen, easy two button menu system, user changeable AA battery.

I have not had to use their customer service yet :)

I have not tried out a liquivision yet, other than their simulators.

Shearwater Petrel - got one a few months ago and really like it.
Pros: The display is great, the menu system is intuitive, switching mixes is easy, AA batteries, you can tweak almost everything and even unlock VPM B deco. Cons: It's a larger computer, battery life is not as good as the reported 35 hours, lack of a MM:SS stopwatch timer (unless you are in gauge mode).

My buddy dives with a Liquidvision Kaon and always seems to struggle a bit with the menu system and the smaller display.

Last edited:
Tried a Shearwater Predator (on rEvo) and a Liquivision X1 (OC)

Wound up getting the X1. I liked the display's viewing angle ability a lot more, and the fact that I can recharge the internal battery whenever I please.
It's completely sealed & potted with gel, so any servicing (I estimate replacing the rechargeable battery every 5-7 years) will require it to be sent back to the factory. I'm okay with that.. in exchange, I know it's extremely durable with nearly no chance of leaking.
Initial setup and software loading was mildly confusing (as I use OS X) but in the end quite workable.

The Predator, by comparison, has an O-ring sealed user-serviceable battery compartment. Not sure if the battery is available rechargeable or not, or of the cell type.
The particular model I used did not have a rechargeable cell.
EDIT: The newer Shearwater Petrel uses AA's, which is great!!

Another poster in this thread mentioned not liking the tap-style interface of the X1; conversely this is another feature that I enjoy. So far it's worked well with up to 7mm neoprene gloves while worn around a drysuit with no issue.
The settings for my X1's software include adjustable tap sensitivity.

The Predator uses a piezo-style pushbutton (no actual movement or dynamic seals) which is also quite nice. I had very little trouble learning to use the interface.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't go wrong with either.
I purchased the X1 mainly due to personal preferences over a few minor specific features.

In the end, no matter what computer I use, for anything near/past NDLs I always back up with a depth gauge / timer and tables...

I like that Liquivision is brighter and smaller but sounded like Shearwater has great customer service and more user friendly. I think I know what to get. Thanks guys!! :)

Well I have both a Liquivision XEO and a Shearwater Petrel and I prefer the Petrel for ease of use, the dive planning, the PC software and quick uploading along with a number of other things. I will be selling my XEO (wife uses it) and buying another Petrel asap.

I think Liquidvision is seeing the writing on the wall. I believe they know that the bell has rung on their market share of the technical community and why they have targeted a recreational demographic now, as evidenced by their AI computer.

I run a Predator on the wrist and a Xen bottom timer on the scooter (or wrist if no scooter). Have to say that I like them both and have not had any serious issues with either. I don't have to tap the Xen underwater much, since it's just a bottom timer. It does tap a little better on the wrist than on the scooter, as the stiffer mounting affects the accelerometers.

HUD Diver view.jpg
Logic Dive Gear HUD.jpg
Wrist mt folded under.jpg

Cheers,
Jon

I think Liquidvision is seeing the writing on the wall. I believe they know that the bell has rung on their market share of the technical community and why they have targeted a recreational demographic now, as evidenced by their AI computer.

OTOH, most recent anecdotes I've seen about Liquivision's customer service have been very positive. Maybe they learned their lesson after the X1 and other debacles? Then I see another post by Fattah and realize neither the attitude nor the substance is likely to change all that much.

Technically-speaking, I don't want it in my computer... but there's some real potential for their echolocation tech to be a great supplement to strobes, deck plans, and other markers for wreck divers who never fully converted to staking their lives on a nylon line run through a twisted mess of sharp, rusty metal full of currents.

Well I have both a Liquivision XEO and a Shearwater Petrel and I prefer the Petrel for ease of use, the dive planning, the PC software and quick uploading along with a number of other things. I will be selling my XEO (wife uses it) and buying another Petrel asap.

Well have sold my Liquivision and now have 2 Shearwater Petrels and much happier. I have an issue with having to put in an offset for something as simple as a clock in the Liquivision to get correct time. Why is this necessary? The petrel is a set and forget clock as (I thought) most clocks are now days. Accurate and set and forget, this seems like old engineering to me.

I hate the green display which initially comes up and I couldn't find a way of changing this display (the other displays I could) so could never read it in the sun (I require glasses). Set the displays all for yellow so I could read them and the battery didn't last very long at all. Display and lettering seemed quite small as well, so difficult for me (as a visually limited person). In the petrel a white display easily read in sun and a good battery life to boot.

I lost about $100 in the deal but not upset that I have, just glad to change over to something I like. Each to their own I guess but not for me. What I saw of the Liquivision service was good, no issues with their response to the battery failure issue so based on all the previous posts looks like they have their act together now anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom