Lionfish predators in the Caribbean

Have you ever seen a grouper/snapper/shark/eel take a lionfish that had not been speared?

• Yes I have

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 43 87.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nursesharks sometimes suck the, into their mouths from the bottom which pushes the spines out so they don’t sting them, but there is another school of though that they either just don’t give a sh!t. or they deal with the pain because they taste so good.

Sharks allegedly don’t feel much other than a stab in the eyes or a kick in the gills...

I have seen two lionfish years ago that were missing their tails. It appeared that they had been bitten off.

... One of my friends is convinced that eventually, local species will figure out how to catch and eat them......

Many people read a problem and try to put just one finger pointing to a solution/cause since it's easiest to understand in their mind. It takes time to educate and teach them that this problem is not that simple. In over 10 years animal predators haven't wiped out the lionfish and won't in the future. It will take humans, the new purse traps, and even the developing and promising robots to get ahead of the reproduction rate. The most promising news we have so far is not a single lionfish in Florida has been found to be older than 3 years old. Now we have a defined window. Last year's catch data was jaw dropping on effectiveness and reducing reproduction. Educate your friend, it's not one solution/cause.

Have seen two videos - the Nassau vs lion and a green moray vs lion (partial vid - mostly hunting w/ pole spear). Moray vid had the eel chase it out into open water but never finish it off - finally gave up and swam off. I have no doubt that there is some predation happening but have more faith in the scuba community keeping most of the shallower reefs clean. Lionfish aren't going away - they will always be deep and resupplying the reefs. Years back, I used to notice when there were dead areas and knew there was likely a lionfish around - all the small fry seemed to be missing. Don't notice that as much. I still collect quite a few on our dives (14 this last trip and a few of large size) but numbers on the frequently dove reefs a certainly down. I'm always happy to get a few home for a nice sandwich. I'm sure there are infrequently dove areas and of course deep spots that are likely loaded and will continue supply the pretty reefs where most like to dive. Finding a big momma/poppa san on the dive doesn't happen frequently but it does happen. I suspect they came up from deeper water. I have yet to see anything take an un-injured one though. Morays do like the little ones though :)

I’ve watched spotted morays eat free swimming lionfish AFTER being speared. The eel reacts as if it just ate a ghost pepper, but is relentless in its pursuit. Spicy! I have some nice video of one of these occurrences somewhere. I realize this thread is focused on the natural progression of predator and prey, but from my experience it appears to be more about convenience and accessibility. Unfortunately lionfish typically hide within the reef for protection.

I have not seen any taken naturally. All of the accounts I have heard of have been second hand.

Do we even know what species predate Lionfish in Indo-Pacific, where it came from?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom