Lionfish predators in the Caribbean

Have you ever seen a grouper/snapper/shark/eel take a lionfish that had not been speared?

• Yes I have

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 43 87.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed as good a place as any...

I posted a shot of a lionfish on FB this AM, which led to inevitable discussions about them. One of my friends is convinced that eventually, local species will figure out how to catch and eat them. I have never seen that happen. Last week, I watched a large snapper eye one, but as soon as the lionfish turned around, the snapper lost all interest and swam off.

Anyway, all of this has me wondering.... has anyone ever seen an indigenous species kill and eat a lionfish? The fact that that snapper gave it a half-hearted effort leads me to believe that it must have tried at some point, and learned the hard way that it wasn't so easy.

So please answer the poll and then expand in your comments!

Thanks!

Only in this video, never when I was diving/spearing.

i've seen morays eat lionfish ( uninjured) on several occasions on Turneffe atoll in Belize...Usually when they are trying to escape my spear :)

Interesting... so is it reasonable to say that the lionfish was "distracted"?

How do the predators deal with the lion fish spines?

Large Nassau Grouper in Little Cayman. The LF was not speared nor injured. The spines are more of a nuisance for the grouper.

How do the predators deal with the lion fish spines?
When the lionfish is speared... dead or injured... they swallow them head first. When the lionfish is alive, it turns away from the potential predator and fully extend their spines.

I've see Morays grab a dead one by the head and drag it into its lair, but I don't know what happens in there!

Large Nassau Grouper in Little Cayman. The LF was not speared nor injured. The spines are more of a nuisance for the grouper.

That's promising!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom