Lionfish in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando our DM has captured and killed two lionfish so far this week. Pictures to follow in another thread. :D

Orlando our DM has captured and killed two lionfish so far this week. Pictures to follow in another thread. :D

Pedro hit 17 on one dive last week up north - 5 yesterday up north!

Jeremy held the record for awhile, but I think Pedro has now surpassed him.

They're aware of it. The Park director authored a similar management & control report based on research & results in Cozumel, which has been presented at symposia in Mexico and Central America.

Marine Park has announced that the Second Lionfish Tournament will be held Sat., May 30. Cash prizes again. This one also involves cooked lionfish dishes if I understand the announcement correctly. Don't have event details now...

CORRECTION: May 30 is a SUNDAY. I have sooo much trouble using this Colores de Cozumel calendar as its weeks start with Monday & end on Sunday.

Last edited:
My wife and I got back Tuesday from a 10 day stay on Cozumel. We dove 7 days and saw at least a couple of lionfish on virtually every dive, the highest number being five. Last May in about the same number of dives we didn't see any at all.

If we had stopped and tried to catch every lionfish we saw, it would have used up a very large part of our bottom time. After being stung pretty badly three times in three days trying to capture lionfish, our DM finally said that he was done trying to catch them.

And so it goes.

After being stung twice "trying to capture Lionfish" you would think the DM would move on from "trying to capture Lionfish" to simply "terminating with extreme prejudice Lionfish""

After being stung twice "trying to capture Lionfish" you would think the DM would move on from "trying to capture Lionfish" to simply "terminating with extreme prejudice Lionfish""
Yo tambien. What I was told, however, is that the present Marine Park ruling is that they are to be captured, not killed in situ. I don't know why that would be or if the information is accurate.

Our DM also told us that killing them with a knife was very hard to do because they are too fast and you'd not want to get in that close. I remember an anti-shark device advertised years ago that was a long hollow stainless steel needle fed by a CO2 cartridge. Punch and inflate, kills the fish and sends the body to the surface. Something like this, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom