Lionfish hunting in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaf diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Can anyone tell me if you can bring spears to Bonaire for Lionfish hunting? We will be mostly shore diving with a few days of boat dives.
Thanks
Greg

i think i recall you have to be with a local guide.

I don't recall all the requirements but you do have to use one specific spear (ELF) , have taken a class and seems like you do have to dive with a guide so basically It's not worth it IMO. Don't take your spear, they are very much frowned at.....and you can be heavily fined if you have one anywhere near the water.

Even with all the hoops, if you have never done it before I would recommend giving it a go. Did the training with my sons in Roatan last June, we all had a fun, we even shared some of the fish with their mom and sister who skipped the hunting lesson and went horseback riding.:wink:

P6170002.JPG

Do not bring any spears or sling type devices. They can and will be confiscated. The official device is the ELF (Eradicate Lion Fish), each must have a serial number and be registered with STINAPA. Owners guard them dearly. Unless you have proper status, you must hunt with a guide. Populations are down over the last couple years (YIPPEE!!!) and the remaining LF are deeper and tend to stay hidden during daylight. It is a good course if you have the time. We got our cards in 2012 and figure we are ahead in the cost vs fish caught & consumed. (I am a financial consultant!) The fish is tasty, so if you have a chance to try it, do so. Makes an excellent ceviche.
These were taken off Klein 2018, between 85-100 ft.
. There is a FB page - Bonaire LF Hunters where you can see the exploits, sightings & reports. Some of the folks are diving well beyond rec limits, deco dives, RB stuff. Not for me, thanks.

upload_2018-10-24_9-58-30.png

We were there a few months ago and saw lion fish on every other dive, which as I understand it is an improvement over previous populations, but yes, they are still around. If you are diving JUST to hunt then it will probably be hard going, but if its an extra bonus then there will be opportunities.

Most of the dive shops had "get certified to lionfish" classes. As I understood it that was a requirement to do it, presumably you get some kind of license and maybe the opportunity to buy a spear?

Most of the dive shops had "get certified to lionfish" classes. As I understood it that was a requirement to do it, presumably you get some kind of license and maybe the opportunity to buy a spear?

Yes on the class. It's a PADI Specialty card. We were not permitted to buy the ELF. You can buy them online, however in Bonaire they must contain a registered serial number or risk confiscation. It's also a requirement to hunt under the supervision of a local guide or shop. Their island, their rules and I'm fine with that.

No spears, period. Don't even try.
Take the course, rent the ELF, have fun.

I'd be more than happy to assist with killing any lionfish I see in the course of diving, but I confess that I balk a bit at paying for the privilege.

I'd be more than happy to assist with killing any lionfish I see in the course of diving, but I confess that I balk a bit at paying for the privilege.

+1. I'd pay a small fee to listen to an instructive talk and a short dive get my skills checked out. After that I should be free to go out on my own. I dive solo and don't want to pay to tag along looking for lionfish. I'd just like to pop one if I ran across it.

You would think, if they were really serious about killing lionfish, they would open it up. On the other hand, after seeing some of the non-skills exhibited by some "divers" there ...

To be honest, over 8 weeks of diving Bonaire I've only seen a couple of lionfish. Maybe it's where I dive or that I stay too shallow.

Back
Top Bottom