Lionfish hunting DR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malcolm White

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone know of a dive operator in the Bayahibe area of the Dominican Republic that allows lionfish hunting? I’m staying at the Hilton La Romana, but the local center, Scubacaribe, don’t appear to do it.

I haven't been; a number of other members have posted positive reports about Scuba Fun in that area; if you shoot them an e-mail, they can probably tell you whether they allow it, and if not, the basis for that.

Did a little quick Googling. Any of these references helpful? Looks like John Sack was at Scuba Fun when this info. was prepared.

Where to hunt lionfish, Dive Centers and Guides who hunt lionfish
Dominican RepublicScuba and Free Diving in Bayahibe – ScubaFun contact John Sack​

Lionfish Hunting in the Dominican Republic with Superior Dive Sosua (Nowhere near Bayahibe, but at least shows somebody there is doing it).

I just came back from DR, and always dive with ScubaFun. John Sack is the owner and still there. They have a Zookeeper and several spears. @Malcolm White If you’re going any time soon, maybe bring a few replacement polespear sling bands. Pretty sure I broke the last one I used and not sure when I’ll be going back. Everything is hard to find there.

Guaruguao Deep is, in my opinion, the best dive site for lionfish. At about 80 feet they are plentiful. There are fewer of them on the more shallow dives. At 40 - 60ft you may only see a couple on the entire dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom