Lionfish Festival for a beginner.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BalloonMan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is anyone going. I think i'm gonna go!! I am PADI OW certified as of this coming weekend. I got this map of shipwrecks and it looks like there are a few there in the area in like 50 feet of water. Anyone with the downlow or anyone interested in diving it for the festival???

Where were you looking to go? I'm a new diver in Springfield and this is something I'd like to do, but everything I see is in Florida.

reef rangers has a map..... looks like the lionfish is everywhere down there but the one in pensacola was the one i was looking into. my shipwreck map puts maybe 4 wrecks in the pensacola bay, and it also indicates that its maybe in the 50 foot range. i think scuba earth has on wreck outside the bay at 86 87 ft. Where im really interested in going is actually not on the reef ranger map and i dont know if it is because of the fish kill that happened in the coco beach area. i know the reef is not far out(still need a boat) and it is an artificial reef called walter hudson jr reef. and should also be within the 60 open water depth. you OW or AOW. Have you been to lake phoenix?? i go this weekend for my open water.

Reefs / Wrecks on the public maps are unlikely to have large numbers of lionfish, especially once dive season gets fully going again after winter. We've pulled 0 - 20 per visit off the larger wrecks in the 75 - 100' range during the last 3 months -- mostly because they've seen very light diver visits over the winter. Sites in the Bay will have few to none in any case. The larger bridge rubble sites in 75-90' of water retain lionfish better but are harder to navigate.

This is not to discourage you from visiting Pensacola during the Lionfish Festival and meeting a lot of great people and doing some great diving. Unless I'm out of town for work, I'll be helping out at LRAD - as will most of my dive buddies. Book any scuba early - boats will fill up around that weekend.

The large lionfish hauls come from surprisingly small artificial structures (5' pyramids, reef balls, etc) that aren't on public lists. Many of the Pensacola Dive Charters will run lionfish trips to target these smaller spots - but usually require AOW level experience and Nitrox. These dives are often in the 100' range and done 'live boat' which requires confidence in making free descents and free ascents to your safety stop. There is great diving available for new OW's and most of the boats will let you try lionfish hunting during their trips - just don't expect to fill a zoo keeper.

Flyingdiver75 has the most accurate info for this area although some of the pyramids and reef balls that hold them are public numbers and on lists if your internet search skills are good. Regardless, a local captain can put you on them if you land a charter. Being a newer diver, set a realistic expectation of how many you'll be able to shoot without task-loading or pushing your limits too much. The teams that top this festival are on a whole 'nother level than the normal charter and bring in upper hundreds to thousands of them during the competition. You have a good chance in the raffle or smallest lionfish categories though if you keep your eyes peeled for those tiny ones... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom