Lionfish Eradication: Recipes, Killing Techniques, and Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is an idea to help deplete the lionfish population. Tired of diving a site with nothing on your agenda other than looking around?? Take a pole spear, shoot a lionfish, and cut open with your knife. It's easy! Every one lionfish you kill is one less lionfish to eat our game fish. If enough divers start killing lionfish, we might start making a dent in their population. There is no need to wait for a lionfish round-up to kill them. Start NOW! Ask your LDS to supply pole spears with points. Coastal dive shops should consider allowing divers to "borrow" these pole spears. It's not a waste and it sure isn't cruel!! Something in the ocean will eat the dead lionfish. Start today!

Finally, I was able to upload this video! Zack Jud, Ph.D. candidate at the Layman Lab at Florida International University, gave an awesome presentation on invasive LIONFISH at the South Florida Divers dive club meeting on Wednesday, April 6, 2011. This video is an informal chat SFDI members had with Jud after his presentation. Click here or on the image to view the video (10 minutes long).

Here is Jud's biography from the Layman Lab website:

Zack Jud, Ph.D. Student
zackjud@gmail.com

Zack_and_snook_bio.jpg

Zack Jud

After completing my B.S. in Biology at the University of Scranton (Scranton, PA), I stepped away from academia for several years to teach fly casting and fly tying professionally. The call to return to my scientific roots was irresistible, and I eventually entered a Masters Degree program in Biology at Florida Institute of Technology (Melbourne, FL), working under the guidance of Dr. Jon Shenker. For my M.S. thesis, I examined the diets of juvenile tarpon in east-central Florida’s man-made mosquito control impoundment marshes to determine how anthropogenic disturbance affected feeding and prey selection.

In the fall of 2008, I began my doctoral work under Dr. Layman at FIU. My research in the Layman Lab focuses on the effects of anthropogenic disturbance on coastal river systems. The bulk of my work is carried out in the Loxahatchee River Estuary, near Jupiter, FL. Anthropogenic control of freshwater inflow is one of the major threats facing Florida’s coastal rivers. I hope to build a better understanding of how flow alterations (and resulting salinity changes) affect the estuarine ecosystem. To assess the effects of changing freshwater inflow regimes on a top estuarine predator, I use acoustic telemetry to identify movement patterns in common snook. This high-tech approach allows individual fish to be tracked for up to three years. Fish movement animations can be viewed at www.adoptafish.net.

In addition to my research, I maintain a strong outreach program, conducting public seminars, presentations for sporting groups, and youth education programs. I hope to build a career that integrates research, education, and public outreach, bridging the gap between the scientific community, recreational anglers, and other resource users.

oops:shocked2:

Lionfish suppression on St Croix seems to be having an effect. We are seeing fewer and fewer on the northshore thanks in large part to the diligence of spear-toting divemasters and local divers.

4 months ago we'd see 3 or 4 on a northshore dive. But lately it's not uncommon to only see one or none. Of course, this is only at popular dive locations. We need more time and exchange of info to be sure. By comparison, on a recent Natl Park sanctioned LF hunt in Park waters (where diving is prohibited), only a total of 3 LF were taken by a team of 8 LF divers -on a 3 tank dive. Hopefully those low numbers will hold up as we move through the seasons and the water warms up a bit.

The west end of the island is slightly different story. Lionfish hunts by trained groups of 8 to 9 divers organized by a local LF initiative, are taking 12-15 per dive/tank (approximately) The team is systematically diving the western reefs, and some divers are returning days later to inspect the same areas for comparison. The signs are encouraging that suppression WORKS.

Factors affecting Lionfish distribution around the island are still up for debate and more time, experience and exchange of information from various sources needs is needed.

Questions we are discussing here:

Do LF prefer certain types of reef structure?
Generally speaking, around here they seem to prefer hanging out under ledges and near vertical reef structures. They seem to prefer boulder like reef coral structure (which is not to say 'rock') with ledges and holes, and not 'stem' or pillar/rod reef corals. This is "in general" as LF have been seen in all types of environments.

The reason for preferring "boulder like" reef coral may be two-fold, and I present it for discussion hoping others will chime in with their experience:
(1) Rocky-like coral mound structures with ledges and holes provide LF with a place to escape into, and cover to hunt from, and (2) If their hunting strategy is to be believed -that they use their 'feather' fins to 'herd' fish against the reef, then 'rockier' rather than "rod" "projection like" coral provides the LF with a better surface to hunt near. That said, I've never seen one hunting in the wild and don't know of anyone here who has. Mostly they are just 'hangin out' in the morning when we go hunting.

In addition, some local LF divers believe LF prefer to congregate near boulder-like vertical coral structures --which ALSO have a sandy-patch in front of them. It's not uncommon to see them hanging out under a ledge that's hanging over a sandy patch. We see them hanging out in a variety of locations, but some of us believe they prefer these ledge/sand locations at the edge of reef patches. Anybody else seeing that same tendency?

Do LF prefer certain depths?
We've caught them in shallow to 50', but in general, 60'-90' "seems" to be a preferred depth. Could also conjecture that they like walls and sloping topography rather than flat. More info needed about that.

How are local currents and water temps affecting distribution?
LF do not seem to like surging areas. They seem to hide out of the current. So for example, when approaching a coralhead where there's a current, I'll make sure to check the backside of any coral protrusions. They also seem to be "out" in the morning, but tucked away by mid-day.

At one time it was thought that LF were "territorial" ...but experience with LF markers placed where LF have been spotted -seems to indicate that they are moving from location to location within 24 hours. IE, if we find a LF marker that's been there longer than 24 hrs, then odds are the LF is gone.

If your experience of their preferences is different, please post them.

----
Re: Technique and LF hunting equipment

The best approach seems to be a slow one, exhaling slowly and timing your shot to coincide with a brief moment between breaths. Bubbles and noise make the LF twitchy. We typically see them in pairs, which makes hunting with a buddy a good idea. Get yours and get out of the way, so to speak.

Trident tips have become the preferred LF hunting tip here on St. Croix. LF are strong swimmers and often able to get off a single tip or barb. Single tips tend to be too fat and a little too blunt, and can at times 'push' the fish rather than spear it. LF are really quite squishy.

Their quick reaction even to an in-close shot also makes having THREE tips headed towards them a better "odds on" weapon. That said, if you do not dispatch them with a knife or scissors through the head, they can still swim away once you remove from your tip.

The short single point spearguns which require two hands to operate, such as those being marketed as LF hunting weapons, are NOT favored here. Here, you need to be able to use your hand to balance one's self off of the reef and not whack corals with your fins -in order to get off a clean shot. Perhaps in less complex reef bottoms or in sandy bottom areas -the two handed devices (hold the barrel with one hand and pull back the plunger/spear with the other) might work okay.

Pole Spears, Riffe guns, JBL mini spearguns ...anything you can put a trident tip on and can operate with one hand, are increasingly being preferred. Most of the speargun divers I know have "de-tuned" their guns for LF... going with a longer band they can more easily load. This is possible because you can get very close to LF, and thus, don't need to shoot far.

Re: "What's eating them"
Local LF divers and divemasters have been feeding killed LF to a variety of creatures, including morays and lobsters which seem to like them. One would hope that Barracuda will develop an appetite for them. I have yet to meet anyone who's seen a live LF being preyed upon.

Your experience appreciated.

Last edited:
Someone on SB had a pic of a short pole spear that they said was a "probe" or something like that to disguise it's actual purpose as a lionfish poker. Does anyone have a pic like that?

IMA-JUS-SAYIN that a "probe" like that might make it with my dive gear as I go to ________ , and that "probe" might probe the flesh of a few lionfish.

If no one has the pic, I'll make something out of fiberglass? hard plastic? aluminum? with a somewhat sharpened point and a place for a bungee or sling band. The probe will slide into a space on my BC near the tank!! :D

Could I get away with the excuse that it's a probe or a stake to place into the sand as a location marker? :D

Ideas? Comments? from you fellow lionfish killers?

The Lion Tamer at lion fish liontamer can double as a muck stick or probe. I sell these to a lot of people that take them into the Caribbean. The trick is, the unit does not have a barber release a spear. Therefore can be considered not a pole spear. Good luck and thank you for considering killing Lion Fish!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom