Lionfish article in the latest Alert Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepstops

Blacklight Poster
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
There's a good article on lionfish in the latest edition of Alert Diver.
It's online here and worth the read with lots of good facts: alert diver: Lionfish Make a New Home

Some important quotes:
According to REEF, the Bahamas has one of the largest infestations. "We've captured upward of 3,000 lionfish there over the past four years," Akins said. "These creatures have become one of the most abundant fish on the reef, with densities up to five times that of estimates from the native range."
Research reports from Simon Fraser University confirm this finding. "Lionfish densities on reefs off the southwest coast of New Providence, Bahamas, far exceed the highest densities documented for this species in both its invaded and native ranges," said researcher Green.

A program using only divers for eradication would be impractical, according to information on NOAA's website. It's partly due to the expansive deep-water reef habitats of the Southeast coast of the United States and Bahamas, an area encompassing more than 62,000 square miles (160,580 sq. km).

NOAA marine ecologist Morris concurs, adding that removal by divers is a management option for local control in some small areas, such as sites within marine sanctuaries and national parks, he said. A study now under way is testing the efficacy of traps to aid in the removal of lionfish, especially in deep water.

Local resource managers in the affected areas like the Florida Keys are supporting a strategy for early detection and rapid response by trained divers before the invasive fish become established, said Karrie Carnes, communications coordinator for the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. "The sanctuary and partners hope their proactive approach will keep the lionfish at bay," she said. "Managers will monitor the progress of lionfish establishment and adapt strategies accordingly."

Last edited:
Where are the classes.. train me. IS there more to it than spear the fishey and leave it to die?

Rumor has it they are both edible and quite tasty, after you neutralize their spines with heat! Much happier killing an animal I can enjoy eating, than just having to kill it and drop it.

It's hard when you see one in the Marine Sanctuary because you don't have a speargun. All you have is a dive knife and I'm not taking the chance on getting poked by one of those nasty things.
I personally think because of this the Florida Keys Sanctuary's in the near future be over run by them. Which is a shame when they can try to take care of it now. Not when it's to late and our reefs and fishes suffer. Also would like to add that their are so many reefs that dive boats don't visit and they are on those reefs as well. Having even more of their little off springs:shakehead: Just my .02 cents

It's hard when you see one in the Marine Sanctuary because you don't have a speargun. All you have is a dive knife and I'm not taking the chance on getting poked by one of those nasty things.
I personally think because of this the Florida Keys Sanctuary's in the near future be over run by them. Which is a shame when they can try to take care of it now. Not when it's to late and our reefs and fishes suffer. Also would like to add that their are so many reefs that dive boats don't visit and they are on those reefs as well. Having even more of their little off springs:shakehead: Just my .02 cents

In the Bahamas spearfishing is illegal on SCUBA but they now make an exception for lionfish, perhaps the can come up w/ a similar rule for marine sanctuaries.

Special seasons for hunting Lions only, in the sanctuaries seems like at least a partial answer? Probably would fire up the PETA types and all other anti hunting freaks, but without encouraging the hunting of this species I see no good alternatives available to prevent the spread of this invasion.

I would have to agree opening the Marine Sanctuary for spearing them would great. We could also have tournaments to bring people down to spear these little you know whats.
I should think they could open the no name reefs here in the Sanctuary, Lord knows there are hundreds of them here. And I am here to tell you they are on them. These guys are smart there not going to go hang out on Molasses if they have a big nice reef with no people to disturb them while they kill everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom