LionAir/Wings Air -excess baggage charges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before our trip I asked our dive company in Ambon what the overwight situation was on departing Wings flights. We were told they do occasionally weigh the carry-on bags too, which is not to say that's practiced system-wide. It's better to not make them part of the equation when you're at the check-in counter, I think.

BTW, our flight was on a turbo, not a jet, and the allowance was 10kg checked and 5kg carry-on, not 15kg and 7kg.

You could be right. Just read the small print and we are booked with Lion air but fly with Wings Air....Bugger

Greetings from Indonesia Heg,

After check-in you are usually given a receipt with excess baggage weights on it, you will be asked to take this to the Lion/Wings Air office and pay the additional baggage fees in the office. When you are invited in tell them you have been diving and touring Indonesia for the last few weeks and they are lucky to have such a beautiful country with amazing diving. Explain that you are a diver and your gear is very heavy, you understand they must charge for over luggage, but is there anyway possible they could see their way into giving you a discount?

It doesn't always work, but 9x's out of 10 they'll usually discount something.

Have a fantastic time diving in Alor, I've heard they've been spotting a lot of Rhinopias recently.

Happy diving,

I would relax and try not to worry about the overweight charges. After frequent trips on Lion/Wings and other similar airlines, my carry-on bag(s) has yet to be weighed. I mostly keep it out of the way, but it looks way smaller than the locals carrying large roped-tied boxes, crates of food or things that I cannot even imagine. With my backpack, I also carry large free dive fins. Airline personnel always ask me to check my carry-on fin bag, but I politely decline - by letting them know that the fins fit into the overhead bins (tight, but it works). I travel to Indonesia with heavy and large survey gear, much of it is hand-carried on the small fixed wing planes. Patience, a smile, and kind words go a long way in SE Asia. Have fun - its a tropical vacation. charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom