Line skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rather than work on skills you haven't been taught yet, you would be better off working on your buoyancy. And not just swimming around, but while task loaded. Practice doing things under water that require more than minor attention and see if you can hold your buoyancy and trim during the task. This is much more important than line skills.

While I think that the discussing of line laying technique and the videos are helpful, I'm in agreement with Rob.

The most important thing is setting your buoyancy and maintaining buoyancy while task loaded (which working the line is).

It's not uncommon to see new cavern/cave divers struggling with line because their buoyancy hasn't been adjusted properly first. Before laying any line, check your buoyancy and trim.

temps in nfl caves - 68-72deg f pretty much always.

Hmmm, that's pretty tempting. Nice 5mm territory in my book.

Sas - if you're around - what kind of temperature would Mt Gambier be in your winter?

Cheers,
J

The most important thing is setting your buoyancy and maintaining buoyancy while task loaded (which working the line is).

It's not uncommon to see new cavern/cave divers struggling with line because their buoyancy hasn't been adjusted properly first. Before laying any line, check your buoyancy and trim.

Yep, got it, definitely got that memo sometime back :wink: [somewhere around page 2 iirc :)]

Cheers,
J

I don't have issues with buoyancy or trim.

Staying in one place in the column and going backwards or forwards with micro control is already within my grasp.

With or without mask and reg and with or without doing additional tasks. I'm not moving much. A foot if I'm really screwing up but inches mostly.

OOG drills would make nearly zero difference to my buoyancy.

I won't lose control of my buoyancy trying to deal with a snagged line or having created a bird's nest.

Boy, your instructor is gonna have a ball with you.

:cool2:

Prepare to be humbled.

:cool2:

Sas - if you're around - what kind of temperature would Mt Gambier be in your winter?

Cheers,
J

You'll likely want to be dry, not wet.

Wouldn't be uncommon for you to spend several hours straight in the water. You might do an hour's worth of open water stuff, then debrief right there in the spring, then do some more open water stuff, a little more debriefing, etc. I had two cavern dives where we did OW line and propulsion stuff, then a cavern dive, did our surface interval in the spring debriefing. Did our second dive plan in the spring, then did the dive, then debriefed in the spring. 2+ hours in the water.

A tip I got from a friend: When you are putting in a tie, make sure you are neutral; do not adjust your buoyancy with your breath. It does horrible things to your gas consumption, and also makes you unstable, because if you get distracted, you'll change what you're doing with your breathing and lose precise buoyancy control. And instructors DO distract one . . .

Slack line kills for several reasons. It's hard to follow, and it's easy to pull off the ties. And it gets caught in fins and manifolds, and if you're following line in touch contact, you can't see to unwind yourself or your buddy.

In my first line-running class, we did an exercise where we ran line for 15 minutes. We then turned, and as a team of three, went lights-out. THIRTY EIGHT minutes later, the instructors called the drill, after we had pulled off a tie, created a huge loop, and managed to wrap it completely around Peter's manifold. In a cave, we would have died. It was a sobering experience. Taut line; secure tie-offs, AND line routed so that it can be followed in zero viz, are survival things.

My point was slightly different, though related.

Good luck on the class.

I know and I was just being silly - your input is very much appreciated.

J

Cheers,
J

12-16. Go to Florida :wink: or Mexico!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom