Line size for bolt snap connections? (and related questions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll concede that it's "cave line" what you determine to be cave line is up to you, but from the people I've spoken with that were part of the WKPP in the beginning, #24 was the "standard" for most of their reels. That is all you see in the GUE literature, "cave line". Now that they aren't using DIR, UTD may very well be using #36 as their "standard" since they are on the west coast and in the ocean quite a bit more, I like the #24 better for bolt snaps, #36 ties well, but the #24 is a bit easier.

Its not put in most of those caves. Its 18 twist (18 braid if you're lucky) up there once you get past a few grand.

I'll agree with you on that, some of those lines get scary way back there.... that said, you still see #24 braided nylon referred to as "standard cave line" just about everywhere.

I just use what I have handy when I tie a bolt snap. Some are 18#, some are 24# some are 36#, some are those custom in between sizes. Then, some are white, some are yellow, some are orange, some are black, one is pinkish... they all work just as well

Sent via

Use good strong line.
I had the line break off while I was trying to remove my backup torch to look at something. My torch tumbled down to 60m+ on a wall dive while I was on 32%. The boltsnap and broken line was still hanging on to my D-ring. Bye-bye torch.

Lesson learned.

You could try 1/8 th bungee......its hard to lay but retrieves by itself. [emoji2]

Forgot we were discussing tying bolt snaps.....just had a visual of running bungee in an overhead......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom