Line size for bolt snap connections? (and related questions)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all -

Up until now, I've been using the nylon line that DGE throws in for free when you buy stuff from them. I believe it's #24 cave line (?) and has worked well for us. I tie the knot to the bolt snap according to their instructions and put a drop of marine Goop on the knot as well. I've been practicing the tie off and different positions on the hoses and now need to buy some more line. Is there any particular size that is preferred for this application? It looks like #24 might be the way to go - there are posts/reviews online which seem to indicate that #36 and up is too thick and slippery to get a good, secure knot. DRiS has cave line for sale by the foot in 3/32" and 1/8" but these are a lot thicker (from some specs I found online, 3/32" is almost as thick as #48 line)

I also have a finger spool with hi viz line which needs some stripped off of it. Is there anyway to identify which line it is? Count strands or something? I'm trying to see if I can just re-use it.

And, finally - what is considered a "breakaway" connection? Is it one that can be easily cut with one of the carried cutting tools or should I be able to break it off by yanking or twisting hard enough? I've been practicing the former and have yet to figure out how to do the latter.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog

just tie the **** on with whatever line you have laying around and get on with life.

no breakaway anything.

what AJ said, just tie the sucker on their. Cave Adventurers uses "wreck line" for their stuff because JB is high flow and the line gets a bit more abuse. A lot of people use the thicker line on their spools and what not.

Line connections aren't breakaways, they are cut-aways. If it's #24/#36 it's not the end of the world. I prefer #24 because it's thinner and ties easier, but if I have to tie something, I just take it off the end of one of my reels, that's pretty much SOP for how this works.

I do think the "official" original DIR would have called for #24 nylon braided line as that is what was most commonly used for the NFL caves.

Last edited:
I use paracord with the internal threads removed... just because that's what I have a bunch of laying around.

what AJ said, just tie the sucker on their. Cave Adventurers uses "wreck line" for their stuff because JB is high flow and the line gets a bit more abuse. A lot of people use the thicker line on their spools and what not.

Line connections aren't breakaways, they are cut-aways. If it's #24/#36 it's not the end of the world. I prefer #24 because it's thinner and ties easier, but if I have to tie something, I just take it off the end of one of my reels, that's pretty much SOP for how this works.

I do think the "official" original DIR would have called for #24 nylon braided line as that is what was most commonly used for the NFL caves.

I can't find any #24 nylon braided line with little "H's" on it.........[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just tie the **** on with whatever line you have laying around and get on with life.

no breakaway anything.

I like a breakaway on the long hose. In the event I need to give someone gas, I want to give them gas and not have to fumble with a bolt snap. Everything else is tied on. Just use braided nylon and not twist; bonus points for using something like day-glo pink.

is #24 not the "standard" cave line? If it is, would that not have been what the original WKPP group would have used to tie bolt snaps? Why would all of the GUE literature specify "cave line" and have it be something other than the "standard #24"?

GUE has standardized 1/4" for their stage rigging, and #24 for cave line, with cave line for bolt snaps. That's where I get the ideas

Thanks all. I guess I just overthunk this :p I'm going to use the line I strip off my spool.

I like a breakaway on the long hose. In the event I need to give someone gas, I want to give them gas and not have to fumble with a bolt snap. Everything else is tied on. Just use braided nylon and not twist; bonus points for using something like day-glo pink.
So, with this setup, you can break it off without a knife?

There's no 'standard'. A lot of wreck guys have 36 on their reels, and I have 18 on a bunch of reels, 24 on some spools, and 18 on another. I wouldn't even contend that 24 isn't the most common line in caves, with many having 36 or bigger, especially the 'usual suspect' caves. Let's not pretend that the type of string you tie your boltsnaps on with needs to be some sort of 'standard'. Its silly.

Ken, for donating gas I give what's in my mouth and sort it all out later after the diver has something to breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom