Line from SMB unravelling in pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

must reply to this last SMB video - I've never seen a more complicated way of doing such a simple task.... :(

as said before me - pull it tight, clip it, clip to a bungee in your pocket, go diving.

done a "few" dives with a spool in my pocket - it never opened.

Matan.

I use the same method of clipping the line and reel together and it has never unraveled. My GUE instructor put a loop on the end of my reel to make it easier to grab as well.

If you don't have a drysuit with pockets, or don't want to attach pockets onto a wetsuit, or don't want to wear shorts with pockets over your wetsuit, you can slide weight or other pockets onto your harness webbing.

Fun fact of the day: That little loop is called a 'woody', named after cave diver Woody Jasper.

You learn something new every day.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiteSands, I found a video that clearly demonstrates the best practices and still keeps the SMB attached. Is this what you were doing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYXEgrU_lhs

Yes, that's very similar, but there are slight differences.

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg08.JPG09.jpg10.jpg

There is a small knot on the side of my loop. I pull that knot through the spool's hole.
Although when tied this way I have never had the double ender come loose, but even if it does, the line will not unravel because it will be locked in place by the small knot.

Also, the advantage of clipping off to the ring instead of the spool reduces the chances of the double ender gate being pushed open by the spool itself.

The downside, as others have mentioned, is that it is more troublesome to deploy and also to to tie back.

I do the simplest way, pull the line tight, clip the line, the spool, from inside. Gate facing outward. I have never has issued. The only once my line come off is when I have too much line on the spool or if the light is very loose.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom