Lightweight Notebook for a dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcknight4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am off to Palau at the end of August. I want to replace my heavy laptop with a lightweight notebook. I will install PS software, so I need some capability for managing images. Amy suggestions? Please

While I'm a big fan of Apple products (own a Macbook Pro) you might also look at the Surface Pro 3 that was just released. If you're not comfortable moving to and learning a new operating system (though Windows 8.1 has a very different UI to Windows 7 if that is what you know) it is worth a look. I own a Surface Pro 2 as well and have been extremely pleased with its performance in Photoshop even with editing rather large images. The three improves on the two in many areas including the stylus/digitizer as well as graphics and processing horsepower.

+1 for the MacBook Air.

it is what I have and it serves the purpose quite well. BTW, I am using lightroom and like it better than the PS I had on my last windows computer.

Consider getting a used 10" netbook off ebay. They can be had for less than $75 and are great for downloading and viewing images. Running Lightroom 4 on mine with no problems.

Photoshop and Lightroom both need a lot of memory to run well. Whatever you get, make sure it's got 8 Gig of RAM or more. The new MacBook Airs are great for lightweight mobile image editing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a fan of most of the Macs with soldered boards, which means no adding memory or changing the hard drive.

I am on my second Acer Aspire netbook... I purchased the first one 8-9" screen and it ran Lightroom well and lasted about 5 years. I now use an Aspire One with an intel pentium dual core (I think) on windows 7. It cost about $300. I swapped the 500gb hard drive for a 128gb solid state drive and it runs really fast. The original drive was reformatted and is now used as external storage in a case.
I've had it for about 2 years now, it's been able to handle everything except HD video editing.

Why do you want to edit while on vacation? I take my Acer Aspire One running PCLinuxOS and use it to communicate (email, Skype) and for the internet. I copy my video and pictures to the hard drive and thumbs and do my editing at home. That way I can relive the trip during the winter I go back to. I might quickly look the vids & pics over, or not, but I have way too much fun stuff to do that I can't do at home to waste time on tasks that I can do at home.

All my editing is done on my MacBook Air. It runs faster and better than any PC I have ever owned. Besides, if I am gonna pull things off of the card I might as well put them where I can get to them when the time comes even if that is during the trip or after I return home.

I have a Macbook Air also. However, I would recommend backing up on a portable external hard drive. That way, you have two copies of the photos in case there is a catastrophic crash. I have a 1 terabyte hard drive that weighs about 6 ounces and takes its power from the Air. Cost was about $90.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom