Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
Simple question. Is the only DIR light a canister light? (Besides backup of course).

Ohhh... is the Surge backup OK, or is only scout lights ok?

hmmm... that's a good question. I was under the impression that a "DIR light" was one that kept your hands free. Virtually all of THOSE are canister lights. So my own question would then be, are canister lights held in the hands DIR?

archman:
hmmm... that's a good question. I was under the impression that a "DIR light" was one that kept your hands free. Virtually all of THOSE are canister lights. So my own question would then be, are canister lights held in the hands DIR?

Really. I thought those head-lamp thingies were frowned upon.

I'm just trying to "count the cost" of doing DIR-F next year. I've got plenty to buy before then and still haven't really reconciled myself (or spouse) to big light purchase. Didn't know if other smaller options were available.

You don't need a canister light for DIRF, I believe.

Oh yeah I forgot about head lamps! I still remember the deep shame when my Matrix headlamp flooded on it's first dive... Boo!

Actually I was referrring to those cute wrist mounted lights, or maybe they slide up fingers. I haven't really seen anyone use one so I'm not privy to the details, but they aren't physically grasped by the hand.

The Matrix headlamps were pretty neat.. constant voltage over the life of the batteries and all.

Anyway, any decent can light head has a Goodman style handle, which is slipped over the hand minus thumb. http://www.oceanzonedivers.com/equipement/oms/image/l197.jpg

The obvious advantage is that you can do things with the hand holding the light without having to actually drop the light.

UWSojourner:
Simple question. Is the only DIR light a canister light? (Besides backup of course).

Ohhh... is the Surge backup OK, or is only scout lights ok?

Trust me, the last thing you need in the class is more task loading.

Many, many of us on the dark side dive without lights, or with the lights we can afford / have already - from small 2XC cell to the akward, front heavy, battery chewing LightBricks (light cannons...) I dove the latter for many months.

These days its a canister light for me, and one overrated scout light as my back up. The canister light is simply the best investment I've made in my scuba gear, and will be the last thing to go should I find myself needing to liquidate one day. No other single piece of gear delivers as much pleasure (its just fun looking into places) and better peace-of-mind for me and my dive buddies. I love it.

I poo poo'ed it (there's that word again... twice in one week. I rule) for quite awhile... I mean high three digits for a flashlight? Get a grip. But its been totally worth it.

The scout light is just a red dot that will always work. Its not for recreational illumination (although BWERB and I lit up a dive this fall with it...!) as much as for safety.

Get the best light you can afford. Canisters can be had for a few hundred dollars all the way up to over $1000. Get a canister if you can swing it, and integrate it with the rig. The best light sucks is you leave it on the deck. Since my light became part of my BC, its been on every dive for the last year+, and I've never once regretted taking it along. I don't always use it, but I always have it with me.

Headlamps... yeah right. Ask you buddy how much he likes yours, as soon as he can see again.

K

Mo2vation:
The canister light is simply the best investment I've made ... No other single piece of gear delivers as much pleasure

DANG! Could you email my wife and tell her it lowers cholesterol or something?

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'm waiting to break this one to my wife. "OK honey, we can't go to the Keys because I just bought a $1400 flashlight."

Heres the key - don't tell her. When my wife saw mine, she asked what it was. I said "Oh that? It's a special Scuba Flashlight. I picked it up used off a guy."

She shrugged and continued dusting, while I took a deep breath and carefully walked away.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom