Lights or no lights? Manta ray dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saltyhawg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tomorrow night we will do the Manta Ray dive in Kona, HI. They set up a big "campfire" of lights and everyone also has their dive lights. Should I take my trey and lights for my GoPro or will it do better with the ambient light from the campfire and all the other lights?

One of the guys in our group had a rig with some major firepower and he had a manta flipping in front of him for like 15 minutes, so there's that. There will be plenty of lights for the wide shots, but any close passes will be better with your light. You've probably seen lots of videos, but here's mine: https://youtu.be/QLvQlLkATEI. Got a Gobe 500 in my hand and a Hero 3 black on a monopod.

One advantage to not using your lights would be a reduction in back scatter. I'd bring 'em along...but consider turning them off or pointing them away if the other diver's lights are adequate.

If it's not too late definitely bring your lights to attract the Mantas to you...

My buddy has a 5000 lumen video light. He was the most popular diver there with the Mantas that night since it brings in the plankton.

Even the DM noticed/remarked on it.

One of the guys in our group had a rig with some major firepower and he had a manta flipping in front of him for like 15 minutes, so there's that. There will be plenty of lights for the wide shots, but any close passes will be better with your light. You've probably seen lots of videos, but here's mine: https://youtu.be/QLvQlLkATEI. Got a Gobe 500 in my hand and a Hero 3 black on a monopod.

Fun Video. Now think how nice that would had been if everyone was on rebreathers and no bubbles

Without lights on definitely worked better. Too much backscatter with them on.

We had 3 Mantas show including the largest one in the area. I got probably 20-25 minutes of raw video. Will do some rough editing this afternoon and will try to post tonight. It's 7 AM here in Kona and time to go diving again!

Keep in mind you are in a circle. The lights are usually focused upward. If you do use lights on your camera, just be considerate of those across from you. Also, I used a SeaLife camera with no additional lights and it was very clear with no backscatter. It's a fund dive! Hope you gets lots and lots of mantas!

I have had good results without needing lights diving 3 times with the Manta's. There are so many lights on the bottom and each diver has a light that the GoPro was able to produce good quality video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom