Lights in Table ROck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tobad78

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I had a bad expirence today. Blew a Oring 1/3 way in the dive was able to fix it (thanks to my save a dvie kit)but wasn't able to save enough air to dive again.

But my GF got stressed because she lost site of me, the disadvantages to all my black gear and table rock at 35 ft.

So to calm things down (and maybe to get her to dive again) on the next dive I want to get a strobe or flashing light for each. I prefer not to get a chem stick. Price is not really a concern as being able to see it is my main concern.

What do you guys use and what would you recommend?

I don't have any lights yet as I just finished up buying the basics bc,tank,weights,wetsuit, mask,fins, regs and computer.

I read this thread earlier in the a.m. Just a little while before getting around to returning some rented gear to Sho-Me Scuba for my Dive buddy.

While there I noticed the Yoke lights there at Sho-Me, as well as at least three others to see and fondle.

Mike at Sho-Me is a very friendly and helpful individual and I believe would be happy to help you find a solution to your problem.

utnapistim:
you could get a glo-toob fx. i read it's in use by army and police squads in some places.

you can find it in two versions on leisurepro.com:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUGT.html
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUGTFX.html

)

There are actually three versions made: http://www.glo-toob.com/Compare.htm

I also have been thinking about one but wasn't sure of what color would be best. I was thinking either the blue or green. I think the white might be annoying to others on a night dive, just like a strobe.

edited, just noticed that the third one is infra-red (???)

Thanks guys on my last trip I dropped $300.00 in Scuba Sports store wetsuit and retractor. Kinda of a spur of the moment thing.

Anyways I'm afraid the Glo-Toob won't be bright enough?

I was also thinking Blue. Guess I will have to call down there to see. I hate wasting money on stuff.

tobad78:
Thanks guys on my last trip I dropped $300.00 in Scuba Sports store wetsuit and retractor. Kinda of a spur of the moment thing.

Anyways I'm afraid the Glo-Toob won't be bright enough?

I was also thinking Blue. Guess I will have to call down there to see. I hate wasting money on stuff.

I think blue should be best since it's the color reaching the furthest in the water and during nighttime it should also be plenty visible at the surface.

crpntr133:
edited, just noticed that the third one is infra-red (???)

yeah ... those are in use by the army: they are very visible to infrared cameras and binnoculars, but invisible to the naked eye. I figure they use them to tag team members in small strike units or something symilar.

anyway, they're no good in diving :|

utnapistim:
I think blue should be best since it's the color reaching the furthest in the water and during nighttime it should also be plenty visible at the surface.

yeah ... those are in use by the army: they are very visible to infrared cameras and binnoculars, but invisible to the naked eye. I figure they use them to tag team members in small strike units or something symilar.

anyway, they're no good in diving :|

I emailed them to see what kind of lumens this critter puts out. Will see how long, if ever, it takes before they reply.

Couldn't think of a application for the infrared but the military use makes sense.

OK, am I loosing my mind or did half of this thread disappear??

At either rate..to make a long story short. Glo-toob won't give out the technical stuff to us civilians. But if anyone knows of a military person that has one of these then we can find out since it is on the back of the reflector card. Also you can see it or two miles, not that that really helps.

Back
Top Bottom