Question Light Monkey "Tinkle" Balanced P-valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RemcoDutch

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone!

My new Seaskin drysuit just got delivered from the UK.
Also included the P-valve from the title, as you all probably know this (still) comes without instructions.
The LM website is not very helpfull either.

So I have 3 questions to all of you:

1. If I dive without using the valve should I keep it closed?

2. If using the valve can I keep it open the whole dive? From jumping in to crawling out?

3. Before descending should I "prime" the system (Pee on the surface).

Thanks in advance for all the knowledge!

1. Up to you. I probably would, but I'm lazy so maybe not.

2. Yes, absolutely

3. No, no need. It's balanced

Enjoy the new suit!

Every once in a while(maybe yearly) service it(10ish dollar service kit). From my experience if you dive in quarry’s that have lots of particulates in the water it will leak at some point if you leave it open by accident when you aren’t planning on using it ( I.e. anatomy not connected inside). When this happens the solution has always been to clean it or just spend the 10 bucks in new parts and service it.

Every once in a while(maybe yearly) service it(10ish dollar service kit). From my experience if you dive in quarry’s that have lots of particulates in the water it will leak at some point if you leave it open by accident when you aren’t planning on using it ( I.e. anatomy not connected inside). When this happens the solution has always been to clean it or just spend the 10 bucks in new parts and service it.

I think cleaning it often as in taking it apart and letting the parts soak in 50/50 vinegar is a great way to avoid having to actually replace any parts. I'm on year 2, 80ish dives on mine and I haven't had to replace any parts. Getting a service kit yearly would absolutley work, but more than likely so would keeping it clean.

When I clean mine I look for any worn pieces, so far so good. Looks brand new (after a good cleaning, lol).

My current suit has 160 dives with the tinkle valve. Like clock work I discover a leak the week before a trip..I cleaned it the first time and it was good for another 40 then I just serviced it the 2nd time.

Nice can't wait to test it out. Its about 30 degrees here now (had almost 4 month waiting time) so have been sweating trying it on 😂.

Water will soon reach 25 degrees here, so might test it out on a night dive this week 😄.

I had mine leak once and then blocked off the balance port, haven’t noticed a difference. Prime, no prime, again not an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom