Light Monkey 21 Watt can light...LED vs. HID.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most likely just a simple point measurement at the times indicated.
Even in this case the three measured points would not build a strait line and would not decline. Very unlikely. :wink:

And talking about true numbers, they claim a lumen output of 2400 lumen. The used SST-90 emitter has a maximum of 2200 lumen - theoretically. Now subtract the usual losses in the optics and the front glass and I would estimate we end up around 1300 real lumen - in best case. Not very truthfully. But that´s rather normal than an exception..
However, first of all they have to deliver a diveable light before we can test it.

but would love an adjustable beam can light with a spot beam spread of 2° - 3° and an even wide beam - one can always dream
And sometimes dreams come true.. That would be my preference, too. We will see :wink:

bye,
Mike

However, first of all they have to deliver a diveable light before we can test it.

Indeed :D

And sometimes dreams come true.. That would be my preference, too. We will see :wink:

A smaller footprint SST-50 for the VB-50 would do it.

Henrik

I have a Salvo 21W HID. My wife has a Salvo 21W LED. My light is slightly brighter, but if I were buying new today, I'd go with the LED. Just a more robust system. All the new tech developments are in LED anyway. The emitters just continue to get brighter and draw less energy.

Wayne at DiveSeekers:6242888:
I swear by the Halcyon 21w HID! Due to our local conditions here in the North East (New Jersey Wrecks), this is the main light that my students and I use. Awesome reliability great burn time and no issues.

Agreed. Originally, I wasn't a believer but I am so glad I came around. Here is why:

http://m.youtube.com/index?client=mv-google&desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4psit66qp#/watch?v=9PSjQL_sjyk

Short vid of a dive I did not long ago. The wreck is "the brunette".

HID lights do have a more compact beam and generally a bit stronger than LED's, but no more than maybe 10%.

I have never agreed about this "punch" term. Murky water have particles in it. The light beam is deflected off these particles and this deflection reduces beam penetration. I don't know of any diving light that can shine through particles in the water. It just BS, same with narcosis being called the martini effect. Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again, HID are stronger in beam focus than LED's, but by no more than maybe 10%.

LED uses less power, they have a consistent beam that does not become weaker as the battery runs down. It's a lot lighter (need smaller battery) and charges a lot quicker. I have a 4.5amh battery that gives 5 hour @ 100% or 10 @50%. They are more robust. My cave team is running 21HID and can't believe the output and runtimes of my 12w LED.

My 2 cents.

Since someone brought up Dive Xtras, I'll ask what is the deal with the X-Ray MK1?

it has been coming soon for about a year and a half now

Hi all,
maybe that will help in LED vs. HID discussion and eventual decision.

35 Watt LED (SST-50) by Light For Me - short movie, one diver (steel doubles) using TEC ONE LED Primary Dive Light - 35Watt,
second diver (also steel tanks) 4 TEC LED Primary Dive Light - 18Watt , third diver (red aluminum tanks) 21 HID Watt Light Monkey.

[video=youtube;Zve1sQNMNhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zve1sQNMNhM[/video]

You be the judge, I think the LED technology is already better than HID and getting even better every day.

Here 4TEC LED Primary vs. 21 Watt Halcyon: TecDiveGear.com - 4TEC LED - Light For Me vs. 21Watt Halcyon HID - YouTube

Best for all.
TecDiveGear.com

Thanks for posting that. The Tech One light is impressive.

-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom