Light Monkey 21 Watt can light...LED vs. HID.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucca,

Are there any manufacturers currently using SST-90's in a 21 Watt Canister light?

Or is something like that only used by custom light makers like yourself?

What LED's are Light Monkey and Halcyon using? I've read some of your other posts where you mention that the major manufactures are behind on available LED technology....how far behind are they, in your opinion?

Thanks,
Mitch

Also the nice thing about the HID's are that they are adjustable beams for different things. But I was in a similiar situation when I purchased my light I know I wanted at least a 4hr burntime my issue was which company as I know I wanted HID. So it really came down to which I could get the better deal on and that was surprisingly Halcyon. I got a good deal and with the special they had going on got "2" free 3 watt led backup's

Are there any manufacturers currently using SST-90's in a 21 Watt Canister light?

Well SST-90 is on dfault 30W LED and is used in Light-For-Me in several models (video , TECH head ) , now is come out one from Magichine hand held torch
MJ-878-Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd ...I don't know beam from that light and I think is undernourished ( battery (8,8Ah ... it drawns 9-10A that mean 1h not 2 as on advertising ) also there is quality work inside ... I have Cu heatsink ... new driver (replaced upgraded taskled from 6,8A to 9A) .... the devil is in details.
MB SUB uses SST-50 weaker version but it have smaller emiter and can produce tighter beam.

PS: I'll sell my HID ;-) 24W

What LED's are Light Monkey and Halcyon using? I've read some of your other posts where you mention that the major manufactures are behind on available LED technology....how far behind are they, in your opinion?

In general they used OSTAR leds from OSRAM for instance in EOS they use Cree http://www.diveinside.de/DiveInside_Wie_es_ist_..._web_53.pdf test for 2012
In older editions are also other models tested

At that moment is most popular Cree XM-L ( small emiter , high lumen output over 1100lm , low amp (2,8A ) )

I've read some of your other posts where you mention that the major manufactures are behind on available LED technology....how far behind are they, in your opinion?
Depends ... Light For Me follows trends also MBSUB , Halcyon I think made few steps back and lives from old glory -HID ( EOS and new explorer not made some impression on me ) Dangerous in all way is Polland ( Yellow Diving , SANTI drysuits ... they overtake technology from America and improve it tecnically ) and they made half cheaper products and better. Reasons is there mybe more , crysis , competition ... Halcyon more and more buying other pruducts and put it under own name ( SUEX scooters , SCUBAPRO regulators...) some new management look but conservatism on development.

For instance too advanced lights come from viel viel licht or Dive Xtras - Dive Xtras X-RAY Mk1

Light Monkey 21 Watt HID from Dive Right In Scuba. It comes with a 3 watt L.M. back up light as an extra incentive. I already have 2 Photon Torpedos, but it's still a nice extra.
5.7 Amp Li-Po..........2.5 Hour burn time..........$1,180
10 Amp li-Po............5 Hour burn time............$1,380

To be honest, I have the 5.7 Amp Li-Po 21W LED and routinely get ~4 hours of burn time on the can. It's a great light.

Thanks for that post Lucca,

I'll search more on some of the things you posted. I appreciate the overview on lights.

-Mitch

To be honest, I have the 5.7 Amp Li-Po 21W LED and routinely get ~4 hours of burn time on the can. It's a great light

Agree ... but burn time just depends on construction of driver 21W led work (by datasheet @21V DC ;1,0A ) if you want longer burntimes , just apply PWM , lower current and also consequently a little lower voltages . for led is best to work at constant current and with nice cooling ( that mean cooling under led emiter not on head enclosure or fins )

for yours light divetorces.com ··· dive torch: Light Monkey 20 - 21W LED

you can see that torch (led )is rated on 634lm @21W..... today have torches over 1000 lm @ 10W that is difference

BTW : I have tested that reflector on some more powerful leds but I did not get that nice beam

When it comes to LED there is a lot light and also a lot of shadow. Its hard to tell if LED can compete with HID in every regard. But I guess in most points it can today. One of the biggest Problems of LED lights is the quite diffuse beam pattern. Some lights have a solution to overcome this like the VB-50, but therefore it sacrifices the Corona and spill light. Variable focus is other point. Most LED light are fixfocus lights. It´s up to you to decide whether you need focussing or not.

I´m the one who did the diving light test lucca mentioned some posts (German Diveinside) before and so I was allowed to have a closer look under the hood of many diving lights. I would subscribe the most of lucca´s points, but not all of them. :wink: Nevertheless there are very few guys out there with such a differentiated point of view about LEDs. :thumbs-up

Looking at the comparison Light monkey LED or HID the choice would be not too difficult for me - I would take the HID, cause I consider the Ostar as completely outdated. Too less efficiency and too much emitter surface leading into a less bright beam. I wonder where they do buy these emitters, cause they´re out of production since two years now. :D Moreover I dislike LED light with Delrin housing - with that the heat has a really hard way into the water and this with 21W?

But there are enough lights out there that are brighter than any 21W HID. The drawbacks often are no variable focus and/or diffuse hotspot. Like I always say - you can not have everything. Look where´s your emphasis and choose wise. :D

When looking onto the energy storage modern Li-Ion canisters are fine, cause they are easy to carry and smaller in comparison to NiMh tanks. But when I go diving and I like it the safe way. Building a multi cell pack with Li-Ion, especially the problematic Li-Po and Li-Co chemistry, needs very high attention to the safety protection circuits holding the Li-Po cells away from blowing up. I would like to know more about these circuits used (ballancer yes/no..) before I would grab such a canister and go into the water. I am not convinced that every canister that is sold, is safe enough for diving.

Information is an important point and often manufacturer are very reluctant with that. I good example are the lumen ratings I am reading. I would guess over 80% of them are false. We tested eight diving lights last time and only one of it presented a real measured lumen rating. Most times only the theoretical maximum LED lumens are a totaled up, ignoring every optical loss of the light design. Measurements show, that the real lumens are around 40-50% of the theoretical maximum. And who whats to buy a car with 100 PS when it only comes with 40 PS in reality?
So what I would like to say is, be more critical and check numbers if they are plausible. :D

bye,
Mike

Thank you Mike,

That's an eye opener!
I'll keep your comments in mind while continuing my research.

I used to live in Bitburg, Germany for a couple of years. I spent one year in Mannheim also, working on a helicopter contract.
I had the best time in Germany! I was lucky to have spent some time there.
My son was born in Bitburg.

On his birth announcements, I has printed "Assembled in Germany, from U.S. components."
I had a t-shirt for him that said the same thing.

Ich liebe Deutschland! :cheers:

FWIW I faced the same question and bought the 21W HID.

I've not regretted it for a minute - what an awesome light!!

Beam and penetration of that beam is amazing and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!

Hi Michael! Very nice article on Dive Inside ; professional as always :clapping: ( wish I have acess to all these lights too ;-))) .

Have you put these tests also on your web page , (driver graphs inside artcle are in low resolution ) ?

What is your ''persönliche Meinung'' on HW light like viel viel licht and all those ligts with BIIG emiters for street lighting .

Thanks sandi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom