Light Monkey 21 Watt can light...LED vs. HID.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I currently have a 12 Watt, LED cannister light with a Li-Ion 3.7 volt/11,000mah pack.
I'm researching an eventual new light purchase, and am looking for a 21 Watt light, probably a Light Monkey.

I am undecided on whether to get the HID version or the LED version and wanted to get opinions between the two.
I gather that at the 10-12 Watt range LED has sort of surpassed HID in terms of power, is this the case at the 21Watt level?

21 watt seems to be a good all around output, I'm just reading up on HID vs. LED and wanted to get some feedback.
Thank you.

**Also...I noticed that DRIS has some older style sartek lights that come with NiMH batteries instead of the LiPo batteries that the Light Monkey can lights come with......The Sartek/NiMH lights are cheaper than the Light Monkey/LiPo lights.

Is it worth considering a NiMH battery these days...or is LiPo the only real option to be considering?

Thanks again.

-Mitch

LiPo gives a bit more power and consistency. The discharge curve looks better. I think at 18-21w, HID or LED still doesnt matter that much. The LED will give you a whiter beam if thats what you want.

I prefer the newer style battery but 4hour burntime is what it is just little lighter. I have halcyon 21watt HID and I asked halcyon why they are still using Nimh technology there response was "it has not been tested enough" so either way I was looking at equal light in my opinon Lightl Monkey/halcyon just different batteries same burn time.

As for HID/LED what I have heard the big difference is that the LED does not punch through murky/dirty water as well as the HID's will. For me diving on the east coast with viz not too ideal I wanted a light that would work everywhere. Not to say the led wouldn't but if in that situation I would want the best. If your in clear tropical waters the LED may be better. Also they say LED is more of a robust light, less likely to break. I have had my light over 2 years with no issue's.

Thanks guys,

I'm leaning towards an HID light. I guess the choice will really end up coming down to which battery to go with.

In comparing the Light Monkey to the Halcyon:

Light Monkey 21 Watt HID from Dive Right In Scuba. It comes with a 3 watt L.M. back up light as an extra incentive. I already have 2 Photon Torpedos, but it's still a nice extra.
5.7 Amp Li-Po..........2.5 Hour burn time..........$1,180
10 Amp li-Po............5 Hour burn time............$1,380

Halcyon 21 watt HID from Extreme Exposure.
4.5 Amp NiMh..........2 hour burn time.............$1,295
9 Amp NiMh.............4 hour burn time.............$1,495

The choice is looking like battery type/burn time vs. cost. I'm sure there are other factors between the two brands, but for now that's the main thing that stands out.

I've read somewhere that one brand of HID bulb is more durable than another. Does the Halcyon light come with the better/more durable brand of bulb? I'm just trying to figure why the higher price.

Are there any other differences between these two lights? I can only make a comparison by looking at pictures online, since I'm not near a dealer.

I'm wanting to stay under $1,200, so it looks like I'll be choosing the shorter burn time/smaller battery version of which ever light I decide to get. I'll be on the lookout for a discount when it comes time to squeeze the trigger on a light.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mitch

2 hours burn time is 2 dives, thats it. no reserve for a 3rd, or even 4th.

:victory:

Good point Jeff.

I frequently dive in low vis conditions. I have both LED and HID lights. The LED's have come a long way but the HID's do have better punching power. My primary light is currently the 21 watt Halcyon Explorer 9.

If I were going to buy a new light today, there is no way I would buy HID. The LEDs are more durable, and you get rid of the ballast -- you've now dealt with two of the major reasons why lights have to go in for service.

No, I have not yet seen an LED light that has the solid punch of my 21W HID. But I'd live with a little more spill to make the light more robust.

Thanks Lynne,

I know you own a few of these lights, I appreciate your input.
I'm still reading through all of the can light threads I can find.

-Mitch

No, I have not yet seen an LED light that has the solid punch of my 21W HID.

belive me led SST -90 with aspherics easy takes scalp any HID lower than 35W. Mybe is problem only square contour from emiter ... maybe i'fix also that too in few months at my light.

Back
Top Bottom