Light Fins for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agree, I wouldn't use gear I didn't like just to save weight. (If I didn't care about the gear I was using I could just rent.) But if you can have your cake and eat it too why not.

I predict some day soon the airlines are going to start weighing carry-on's in which case I'll be totally screwed since I've perfected making a 50# carry-on look like it weighs 20# when I move it, load it in the overhead etc. I'm always looking for optimized travel gear since that's all I do.

Additionally the reason I want a pair of Aeris Accel's is they fit the current and proposed reduction in carry-on sizing. Given that there's a new emphasis by the U.S. airlines to make that sizing box even smaller - just by 1/2" but 2" in depth currently - I'm fairly sure their next step is to add an "oversized" carry-on fee when you consider the millions of travelers with hard-sided rollers that are just over the limit - mine will be - if they change the box, it won't fit. I have a several hundred dollar 22" (current legal limit) roller that I'm going to use until I get caught.

Assuming Chuck Shumer et al. have moved on to more important things by now allowing the airlines to implement the change as they wish...

My shop is clearing out the Aeris Accels for $49 cdn, so like $2 U.S. (Kidding).
I use them as my go to travel fin.

Aeris Accel Fins | Scuba Gear Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Went to the ScubaPro Twin Jet Full Foot Split Fins with the purposes of lightening the load, but mainly to take up less space in bag/suitcase. Really like them. Very flexible when packing. Perform as well as my previous split fins.

So I no longer carry boots either which could be a drawback: less protection, less warmth (not a concern as I dive warm waters), no beach shoes, etc...

I predict some day soon the airlines are going to start weighing carry-on's in which case I'll be totally screwed since I've perfected making a 50# carry-on look like it weighs 20# when I move it, load it in the overhead etc. I'm always looking for optimized travel gear since that's all I do.

Additionally the reason I want a pair of Aeris Accel's is they fit the current and proposed reduction in carry-on sizing. Given that there's a new emphasis by the U.S. airlines to make that sizing box even smaller - just by 1/2" but 2" in depth currently - I'm fairly sure their next step is to add an "oversized" carry-on fee when you consider the millions of travelers with hard-sided rollers that are just over the limit - mine will be - if they change the box, it won't fit. I have a several hundred dollar 22" (current legal limit) roller that I'm going to use until I get caught.

Assuming Chuck Shumer et al. have moved on to more important things by now allowing the airlines to implement the change as they wish...

Out of NZ they usually do a weight, size check and a count of carry on items, it's happened to me every time I've flown out of Australia too.

All the weight adds up. A pound here and two there, that kind of thinking only begets more weight. I know some of you wear your plates but I do not even carry a plate as such sometimes. It is not just travel weight but walking weight when doing shore dives, it all adds up quickly. The Aeris Accel fins are the lightest there are and that make decent thrust, they are not really a compromise in power over a Jet size Large. Compared to a Jet size XL or Mares Avanti Quattro size Regular, they do not make quite as much thrust. But they are significantly, pounds, lighter than any Jet and noticeable lighter than the Mares and the fins straps that come with the Accel are just fine.

Not only that but I have a camera carry on (about 20 pounds) and I generally bring my computer and recently I am making room for a 19cf pony in my checked luggage. Miflex hoses, Accel fins, frameless masks, fabric plates with nylon fittings, weight integration, eliminating duplication, titanium knife/scissors or even just a line cutter, mini or medium SPG has reduced enough weight that I can carry the pony now and still be less weight. I could not imagine bringing a steel plate, that is kind of like packing lead, they have plenty of lead at the dive resorts. And as far as giving up function or capability, no, if anything it is improved.

N

Not only that but I have a camera carry on (about 20 pounds) and I generally bring my computer and recently I am making room for a 19cf pony in my checked luggage.

Try picking up an Apple MacBook Air. You will almost want to get one on the spot because of how light it is!!

True, Force Fins Pro is also a good choice. That's what I've been taking. I suspect that for flutter kick they're more powerful than the Accels.

ScubaPro Jetfins, XL's or XXL's. Wear them on the plane.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom