Light Cannon HID Vs. Light Cannon ELED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyler2142

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im looking for a primary thats not too expensive. I was almost set on the light cannon HID until the other day when i saw the ELED. Now i dont know which to get. Honestly i dont have a clue what the difference is besides the bulbs. I really dont understand why one is rated in watts and one is in lumens. Im am open to other light suggestions if these two rent what i need. Any suggestions? Thanks yall.

ELed: Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon eLED with Pistol Grip

HID: Underwater Kinetics "Light Cannon" HID Dive Light with Pistol Grip

My mistake. They are both in Watts. I could of swore the hid was in lumens a week or so ago. Still confused on the equivalent and actual watts too.

The eLED outputs 825 lumens and has burn time of 9 hrs. The HID has 450 lumens and the burn time is 3-4 hrs. The HID seems to be old school and UK doesn't carry it anymore.

Now sure how the eLED has a claimed double to triple the burn time given they both consume 10 watts of power.

IIRC, the '10 W' rating is a comparison to a halogen light, not the actual power consumed.

It seems to be a rough comparison, at best.

Personally, I have and still prefer, a HID. The LEDs are quite bright, but don't seem to punch through very much murk. YMMV

What about the replacement bulb cost on each of these? I know the HID is right at $60 but i couldn't find the ELed replacement.

Lwang, where did you see that the eled was rated at 825 lumens?

The Light Cannon 100 HID is no longer in production. If you want the HID light, better act quick, before they are all gone. I have both the Light Cannon 100 HID and the Aquasun. I prefer the Light Canon 100 HID.

Ron

The Light Cannon 100 HID is no longer in production. If you want the HID light, better act quick, before they are all gone. I have both the Light Cannon 100 HID and the Aquasun. I prefer the Light Canon 100 HID.

Ron
What are the pros of the HID over the ELed? Almost everything im looking at is pointing towards the Light Cannon Eled being the better light.

I had a HID Light Canon, and recently bought two of the eLED Light Canons (one for me and one for my wife). I loved the HID light when I first got it, but it didn't seem as bright over time. I sent it back to UK once, and they said they rebuilt the electronics, but it never seemed all that bright again. Maybe the Duracell batteries from Costco aren't really up to snuff (no voltage regulator for the HID bulb, so it dims as the batteries are used). It's a great light. I saw the eLED Light Canon at the Long Beach scuba show and it was amazing. Supposedly at least twice as bright as the HID. I haven't compared the two underwater, but the LED Light Canon was as bright as a lot of canister lights on one night dive. They're roughly the same form factor, but the HID bulb is supposedly fragile and expensive (around $60). UK said the future is LED. I recently sold my HID Light Canon 100 on Craigslist.

You can switch the LED version on and off as much as you want. When you switch on the HID version, it takes about 10 to 15 seconds to warm up. Once you turn off the HID, you should wait 30 seconds or so before switching it back on. The eLED seems to be at least as bright to me, although you can't put diffusion filters over the light if you're shooting videos. The UK expert (he really was their expert) said the LED Light Canons are twice as bright as the earlier HID version. I can't speak to how they compare in murky conditions

Lwang, where did you see that the eled was rated at 825 lumens?

in UK's website.

IIRC, the '10 W' rating is a comparison to a halogen light, not the actual power consumed.
The HID's comparison is to a 25 incandescent bulb, but using only 10w of power.

As LED's brightness starts getting higher and higher, it starts poaching on lights of equiv brightness. First those low end lights, then powerful incandescent lights, now low power HIDs. It still got a while before cave divers/videographers would be replacing their 100w or 250w HIDs.

What are the pros of the HID over the ELed? Almost everything im looking at is pointing towards the Light Cannon Eled being the better light.

I like the tighter beam of the Light Cannon 100 HID. The Aquasun is brighter, but it has a wider beam. It's just my preference.

I do like the durability of the ELED vs the HID. On the other hand, the ELEDs burn hot, and require a heat sink and only produce 825 Lumens when the light is submerged. If you get a chance, try both and choose the one you prefer. Either one would be a good choice.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom