Light Cable Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkmasterbc

Contributor
Reaction score
In fundies we were taught that the new way of routing the cable was on the outside of the longhose (not underneath).
what was the logic behind this...I don't remember the exact reason other than having something to do with stages.

sharkmasterbc:
In fundies we were taught that the new way of routing the cable was on the outside of the longhose (not underneath).
what was the logic behind this...I don't remember the exact reason other than having something to do with stages.
If I remember right, it has to do with when you pass the light to the right hand to hold it while you dump air , work stage valves, etc. If the light cable is the right length, being behind the long hose would pull it out when passing to the right hand.

If you have it underneath, and you don't route it back underneath, then when you clip it off, it's clipped off around the long hose. if you route it in front, then the light cord isn't going around the long hose.

Of course you could just feed it back under before you clip the lighthead off.

Spectre:
If you have it underneath, and you don't route it back underneath, then when you clip it off, it's clipped off around the long hose. if you route it in front, then the light cord isn't going around the long hose.

Of course you could just feed it back under before you clip the lighthead off.
I was taught to route it underneath in DIRf. By the time I took Tech1, it was being taught the other way. I tried it a couple times and went back to routing it underneath. Why? 'Cause the loop of cord dangled down when I didn't. Switching the lighthead to my R hand doesn't pull on my long hose. If I need to clip it off, I just feed it back under first.

sharkmasterbc:
Yes, this was a slightly debated topic a while back.
The reason for the light cord routing underneath the long hose was that during an air-share, the diver could donate easily w/o the need to "change hands" w/the light to deploy the full length of the long hose. Others in the GUE/DIR training arena contended that it is during stage bottle gas switches that a diver will most likely have an OOA event, and during this switch divers routinely will clip their light off to thier right shoulder d-ring (by the clip at the cord gland so it hangs down and out of anyone's eyes). If they have the light cord run underneath the long hose to the left hand, when they clip it off to the right shoulder d-ring and if they forget to run it back underneath the long hose, their will be a loop created by the light cord around the long hose. The key here is that they are assuming the divers will forget to run it back underneath the long hose.
Whereas if you run the light cord in front of the long hose to the left hand, their is no loop created by the light cord wrapping around the long hose when clipping back to the right shoulder d-ring. But just remember that in the event of an air share, when donating the long hose, after the OOA diver has the gas, the light must be passed back around the long hose in order to fully deploy it w/o entangling the light cord and the long hose.
How one does this depends on which method you think is more appropriate.... remembering to run the light back under the long hose routinely in non-emergency mode when clipping it to the right shoulder d-ring, or... remembering to route it back under during an airshare.
Either way will not affect a diver w/a clear mind anyway....

dive safe!---b.

I've run the light cord both ways and I prefer to run it under the long hose. It may be because we have been doing so much training lately and it makes doing s-drills a bit easier. I also like how the cord is tucked closer to the body when it's routed under the long hose so it doesn't hang out there to be snagged by debris and stuff. Maybe I'll start working with it the other way and give it a fair shot and see if I can make it work better for me.

I also have tried it both ways and like the light cord being under the long hose. To forget to pass it back under the long hose when clipping off the light seems pretty silly. You are going to deploy and stow your light on every dive. So it will become second nature after a while.

On the other hand, if a diver without air freaks out when you first deploy the long hose, you will have to deal with the diver and fully deploying the long hose that has been tucked under the light cannister while also dealing with the light cord. Does that sound better? :06:

I also like how the light cord stays close to the body, making it less likely to catch on things.

Ok here is what might be a real dumb question: Why cant you clip it off on the left (if routed under)?

WaterDawg:
Ok here is what might be a real dumb question: Why cant you clip it off on the left (if routed under)?
Things get quite busy w/sling bottles clipped up there as well as the inflator getting in the way. When switching bottles especially, the light will hang facing down and will only cause problems while trying to deploy the reg from the sling bottle....not to mention the need to see the sling bottle gauges, which will be a bit tough w/the light hanging in the way.

b.

sharkmasterbc:

During my DIR/F class we were taught to place it underneath the long hose. I tried both and over top seems to dangle out too much, under is compact and neat. I've yet to forget to pass under the longhose when stowing on the right chest D- ring and I do it on almost every dive. During an OOA is more likely the time I'd expect to forget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom