Light and Motion Sola 800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdizzle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I've narrowed down my light to a Sola 800. My question is should I go the dive route or photo route?
Photo light has the red lights
Dive has the spot beam and flood.

Primary use will be photography but will also be using for night dives.
Could I use the photo version as a light for night dives or am I better off going with the dive. And does the red light really make a difference?

Thoughts?

I have the Sola 800 with the red light and LOVE IT! At night, there are critters that do not like light, but seem ignorant of the red light. If you are looking for photographs of hard to get night creatures, the red light is the way to go.

I always to take a flashlight in addition to the Sola with me on night dives for a couple of reasons - 1) The Sola only lasts 60 mins on full, and I don't want to be stuck diving at night without a light. 2) I always like redundancy, so if something else happens to the Sola - doesn't charge, somehow floods, etc. I have a backup light.

The Sola is a wide angle, so you only see a short distance when diving at night. I complement it with a narrow beam flashlight that can illuminate objects much farther away.

I use the red light for photographing skittish critters. Octopus, shrimp and jellies don't seem to notice the red light at all. I have used the white light on the Photo 800 as my primary night dive light for the past year and have had no problems.

another +1 for the red ! 800 or 1200 photo are really great lights

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom