Lift measure of a standard Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,
I have a question about the lift of a
standard dry suit. In the GUE Manual " Fundamentals of Rec Diving" Chap 4 the
example given to illustrate a balanced rig is given with a wet suit.What would
be the average lift of a DUI TLS 350 ?
I dive in warm sea waters (18°C at the
moment...) so my undergarment is minimal (a tee-shirt + panty hose)
Thanks
for your input
Bak

progress.gif

You can't say anything about the lift of a dry suit -- you have to know the undergarments.

When I dive in Puget Sound, my dry suit and undergarments have about 28 pounds of lift. When I dive in Mexico, with thin undergarments, I don't know formally what the lift is (never got in the water in just the suit and undergarments to figure it out). But I use 30 lbs of negative stuff with a -1 tank in the Sound, and 7 lbs of negative stuff with a roughly neutral tank setup in MX, so my guess is that my dry suit/undergarment setup in MX is running me about -5 or so. Obviously, that is going to depend a LOT on how much air you want to run in the suit -- in the caves, I run my suit about as squeezed as I can tolerate and reach my valves, because I don't want a lot of air in my feet if I have to go head-down to get through a sloped area.

Think of it this way- if you have a custom made, well fitting suit with minimal undergarments, your suit will have little room for air and minimal lift. A poor fitting dry suit COULD be blown up like a balloon and have lots and lots of lift, regardless of the undergarment.

My shell dry suit, when diving in cold water, requires 28# of ballast when using a steel 100. My open cell neoprene dry suit, which I dive in cold water without fleece undergarments, only requires 18# with the same wing.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your inputs guys.
Lynn: I usually dive with minimal air in my dry suit. I read on another forum that membrane dry suit "should" be around neutral . Do you agree ?

my tls350 with the 100g undies are + 19 the 300g undies are +38

The suit itself is going to be neutral to a little positive, depending on the material the boots are made of. It's the undergarments and the trapped air that make dry suits so positive.

Back
Top Bottom