Lift for Drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With regard to Usil's comment, the NOAA Diving Program conducted a study on whether to require their divers to use BCDs while using a drysuit. Currently, NOAA does not require BCD use when diving a drysuit, and apparently most NOAA divers do not use BCDs when diving dry.

The study tested the difficulty of swimming to the surface and staying above the water for 30 minutes while wearing a flooded dry suit.

Here is the report.

DISCLAIMER: I advocate using a BCD at all times. I don't care what NOAA says.

I thought that I was a weirdo for a minute. So many people seem to be very upset at the prospect of diving without a BCD!!

Nessie
I dive a 7mm drysuit for the warmth and boyancy characteristics.
If my dry suit floods, it is just like wearing a 7mm wetsuit. I still have boyancy, granted not the same amount, but still some. I have flooded and yes you can swim it up. A dry suit does not become an anchor without air in it!!

No one above has mentioned the obvious. If the suit floods, you can always drop your weights. While I am not a drysuit diver, one of my friends who is has told me that only a small wing is needed for this reason.

LW, you've done it again. Good point, at the surface, drop weights and you are fine.

I can only say I haven't had enough caffeine

usil once bubbled...
I thought that I was a weirdo for a minute. So many people seem to be very upset at the prospect of diving without a BCD!!

Nessie
I dive a 7mm drysuit for the warmth and boyancy characteristics.
If my dry suit floods, it is just like wearing a 7mm wetsuit. I still have boyancy, granted not the same amount, but still some. I have flooded and yes you can swim it up. A dry suit does not become an anchor without air in it!!

I, on the other hand, have given up my drysuit and now use my wing for exposure protection.

I can swim mine up, down, and all around. And, I get admiring glances from other divers who have to contend with drygloves, boots, hoods and all that other "old tech" stuff.

mechdiver

PM me on how you do that, would love to get ride of that bulky drysuit!!

usil once bubbled...
I thought that I was a weirdo for a minute.
Oh, you're still a wierdo, but you're a wierdo in good company.:D There's a big difference. One wierdo is an odd fish; a whole pack of wierdos is a new trend.

Surely the comments he makes are not for real?! :confused:

The only people I know who dive without BCs are commercial divers who are on the bottom for hours at a time. But then they also have safety harnesses, airlines and lots of surface support.

Usil, I guess you are trying to be witty, but all you are doing is mis-informing people.

~SubMariner~

Hi,
I know quite a few recreational divers who dive like usil. So it might be real :confused:

Hi Conor, glad to see you're finally getting into the cold, dark waters off the British Isles. Hope you find it as enjoyable as the tropical diving has been to date.

Azatty, either your link doesn't work or my browser is broken.

As for Usil's diving method, it's not that unusual: here in Ireland we dive 7mm semi-dry suits, also without BCDs. Some of my buddies have gone the whole hog and have done away with those pesky air tanks: instead they use very long snorkels with a buoy on top to keep the flexible corrugated tube afloat, but I think that's just taking things too far.

Back to semi-dry diving without BCDs: we use brass carabiners to clip sandbags on to a webbing belt around our waists to compensate for the air trapped in the neoprene. At the end of a dive we simply unclip them and leave them on the bottom when we want to ascend (it's okay - they're hessian bags containing unwashed sand, so they're totally environmentally friendly). At this point, the positive buoyancy of the suit takes over and we float effortlessly to the surface.

It's a great rapid-ascent procedure that makes use of elementary physics and is foolproof, though, of course, (here's the disclaimer) I don't advocate it as a system for anybody not properly trained in it. The rush of adrenaline as you rocket to the surface and then get airborne has to be experienced to be believed. We have competitions to see who can leap furthest out of the water using this procedure to ascend from 30 metres.

Similarly with diving a dry suit: as Leadweight points out, all it takes to ascend to the surface in the event of a flooded suit is to jettison your weight belt and surrender control of your ascent. So it's not a big deal, right?

Nessie, I've seen quite a few recreational divers who dive with unserviced or faulty equipment, zero dive planning, no emergency plan, and untrained buddies. But I often wonder if they're for real.

:eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom