Lift bags for DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
What lift bag are you using / carrying ?

My old bag has out lived its usefulness, i need to get a new one. My current bag is 50bls lift and i fill it with my 2nd stage. I am storing it rolled up and bungeed to the bottom of my SS back plate ( length wise across the bottom), where are you storing yours?

thx
Andy

I am currently using a 75# or 100# bag I got from trident (I think). I store it in tubing accross the bottom of my plate. I fill it by exhaling underneath it. I dive mosly cold (read real cold) water and I would rather not be pushing purge buttons. I will probably try a Halcyon bag one of these days.

A Halcyon 80# in the storage pack on my backplate

The 80lb Halcyon, of course. As I understand it, wetsuit divers are supposed to use a bag that doesn't require the use of the BC inflator hose. It's not a good idea to detach your inflator hose from your only source of inflation. I don't know the specific recommended bag for wetsuit divers. For drysuit divers, the Halcyon bag is recommended, and you should use the suit whip to inflate it. It is also my understanding that the bag is to go either in the backplate pocket or in a suit pocket. I keep mine bungied to the right side of my plate :rolleyes:.

Mike

Is that halcyon back plate pad/pocket worth it ? how much are they ?

Looks hard to reach, can you R&R your bag underwater?

Andy

Why should a wetsuit diver not use one that needs the inflator? It seems your buoyancy should be ok before even starting the process.

The Halcyon can be inflated with either blowing in it or using the inflator hose.

Tommy

Andy,

I didn't like the bag, so I gave it away. I intend to get a bag for my wife's new plate and wings, so maybe I'll try it again. I wouldn't place much priority in getting it if I were you. I've seen DIR guys put it on the side of the plate, like I do, in a pocket, or bungied to the bottom of the plate. I like mine right under my right arm pit bungied to the plate.

Tommy,

Didn't you catch all of that on Quest last week? Because stuff can happen, especially in a current. I believe a bag was recommended for wetsuit divers, but I didn't pay much attention to it. It might have been a Carter of some sort. It was well emphasized that a wetsuit diver should not disconnect their only source of inflation. I'll look it up, and see if I kept that stuff.

Take care.

Mike

Edit: Tommy, a guy named Patrick just asked your exact question on Quest, so pay 'tention :D.

Originally posted by trymixdiver
Is that halcyon back plate pad/pocket worth it ? how much are they ?
Looks hard to reach, can you R&R your bag underwater?

Andy
Yes....keeps it out of the way.
<$50
Yes....new bags have a leash...olds bags folded right work fine.
No....once out you are going up right? Change your mind>stuff it in your pocket.

Is available in 30 to 100 pound lift size, open bottom with duckbill anti-spill and OP valves, and is designed to be fully functional as both a salvage bag and a signal device. They're nice heavy duty bags and priced right, at about 8" wide empty it should fit anywhere you want to stuff it or bungee it on your gear.

FT

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom