Life without a pee valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, I have never had to pee in a drysuit, but I do keep a box of depends iwth my dive gear just in case, b/c the one time you don't wear them, you will piss yourself

... but also do not let not having a pee valve stop you from hydrating well during your pre dive prep... I find that with a pee valve I drink a lot more fluids during the pre dive prep...

This is why I dive with a pee valve. I believe, for me, it is a safety item. Here's why:

I don't enjoy the urge to pee, which the cold water seem to bring on with me. Some time back I took an "undeserved" hit and spent a day doing a table six in the chamber. One of the contributing factors was being dehydrated. I had been trying to avoid the need to pee. As Ben said above, I now hydrate way up, and feel comfortable doing so knowing that I can go and go and go as much, and as easily, as I want. The pee valve promotes hydration. Good hydrations help prevent DCS.

I agree with Mr. W. Monkey. Once you've had it, you don't want to go back.

A good Pee valve is the way to go. :D

I agree with the above, I have about 10 dives with my pee valve now, and I'm never going back.

If you do get one, I highly advise you to read this.

dsteding:
I agree with the above, I have about 10 dives with my pee valve now, and I'm never going back.

If you do get one, I highly advise you to read this.

That's a very informative and funny thread :rofl3: Thanks for posting it! It's the everyting you wanted to know but afraid to ask thread for men lol

Whale Whisperer:
That's a very informative and funny thread :rofl3: Thanks for posting it! It's the everyting you wanted to know but afraid to ask thread for men lol

Indeed, a must read for anyone using a pee valve . . .

Rick Inman:
This is why I dive with a pee valve. I believe, for me, it is a safety item. Here's why:

I don't enjoy the urge to pee, which the cold water seem to bring on with me. Some time back I took an "undeserved" hit and spent a day doing a table six in the chamber. One of the contributing factors was being dehydrated. I had been trying to avoid the need to pee. As Ben said above, I now hydrate way up, and feel comfortable doing so knowing that I can go and go and go as much, and as easily, as I want. The pee valve promotes hydration. Good hydrations help prevent DCS.

I agree with Mr. W. Monkey. Once you've had it, you don't want to go back.

A good Pee valve is the way to go. :D
Did you get rid of the quick disconnect?

I changed the way I hydrate myself. With a wetsuit, I would drink a lot right before the dive. Now that I dive dry, I drink a lot the night before. Then the next morning, I don't drink much. I also try to avoid caffeine unless absolutely necessary. BTW - no pee valve for me (yet).

Minh

Whale Whisp...your link didn't work for me...
I don't have a P-valve because I am a female. I have mostly dived with men and the serious ones have a P-valve. I am jealous! I make sure I P before I suit up, if I were to do long DECO dives I would certainly wear something...so I could do the !!!
But my point in my post is and it is quite funny...is I dive tropical and I find it hard to P in a wet suit in the ocean while diving because I have conditioned myself NOT to need to P in my drysuit. Can you imagine how bad you feel the urge and NOT be able to pee UNTIL you get out of the dive gear....talk about potty training...it sucks...it's not fun...so get a P valve and be happy.
K

The urge to pee was explained very logically and scientifically in a recent edition of Dive Training Magazine. Can't remember exactly which (and I'm not at home to check), but if you can find the copy, it's a good article. All to do with pressure and immersion...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom