Life expectancy of dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I typically use my parachute til it dry rots,tears and I have to use my reserve.Cause I love the environment so much more than everyone else.

As I use EDGEs,Marathons and Skinny Dippers for all my commercial diving and most of my recreational diving,this talk of changing computers so often seems awfully wasteful.At least my EDGEs are recyclable being mostly billets of aluminum.

Might as well change the batteries after each dive then. According to your logic they're no good anymore because "they're depleted".

While you're at it, change your tires every time you drive around the block.

OK, so you are not interested in a conversation and like to say silly things. If you equate changing tires after 35,000 miles with changing after 5 miles then go ahead and say so, but it is neither clever nor carries any content, and I will switch over to some of the sometimes adult conversations on scuba board.

this talk of changing computers so often seems awfully wasteful.At least my EDGEs are recyclable being mostly billets of aluminum.

It's only wasteful if the computer or the batteries end up in the garbage.

There's a big used scuba gear market on EBAY and other sites, and there's always someone (like me) who knows that an older, reliable piece of dive gear is just as good if not better than the newest and most expensive, at a fraction of the price.

OK, so you are not interested in a conversation and like to say silly things. If you equate changing tires after 35,000 miles with changing after 5 miles then go ahead and say so, but it is neither clever nor carries any content, and I will switch over to some of the sometimes adult conversations on scuba board.

I was exaggerating to make a point. You're throwing away perfectly good batteries that could last 5 years or more, after only 1 year "just because".

I

I was exaggerating to make a point. You're throwing away perfectly good batteries that could last 5 years or more, after only 1 year "just because".

Maybe it is because I started life with an Aeris that ate batteries. Sometimes you would not make it to two years. Had it happen more than once. Once on a week long trip to the Keys. Large dive store would not replace battery for me. Tried to do it myself and thought I had done it right but flooded it the next day. That's how I wound up with a Suunto. Needed to buy a computer on the spur of the moment (pre internet days). Had it get flakey when I tried to stretch it past 2 years. I now dive 2 computers. I also have techs replace batteries each year.

It is all probabilities. I do not care how long something could last. My question is how long can I reliably expect them to last. My experience on two computers was 1 year was safe, 2 or more starts getting iffy. I get my gear serviced once a year so just replace batteries then.

No. We sent it in to their service facility for repair (a couple of hundred dollars if I recall), and it came back good as new.
Dive computer longevity is one consideration, good service is the other. I have purchased 6 Oceanic computers for me and my family since 2002, I have 6 working Oceanic computers today. I have never had a problem with any on the computers while they were under warranty

I have written previously about Oceanic service on SB, this includes before and after the purchase of Oceanic by Huish. Oceanic will repair or replace any current computer that is out of warranty at a reasonable fixed cost Support » Service I had 2 old Pro Plus 2s in which the pressure sensors eventually went out. Each was replaced for $175. I had a pressure transmitter fail and it was replaced for $120. I have another Pro Plus 2, a VT3, a VT4, and a Geo2 that have never had a problem. All but the VT3 are still covered under the service policy. For me, this has been a lot better than throwing away the nonworking computer/transmitter and buying new.

I've never taken the time to look, do other manufacturers/brands have similar service policies?

I have had both good and bad luck with dive computers. My Uwatecs have functioned fine for years. My Dive Rite Nitek Duos all died prematurely. My ORCA Skinny Dipper still functions 40 years later but I don't really use it.

I have written previously about Oceanic service on SB, this includes before and after the purchase of Oceanic by Huish.

I acquired another VT Pro about a few months ago, the seller stated it had just been serviced and rebuilt, and included an invoice- by Huish. Prior to the change in ownership, VT Pro's were no longer serviced. The cost was about $175 which is more than used VT Pros go for on Ebay when you can find them, but there were some advantages including reliability and I noticed the buttons were a bit more responsive. Also the backlight worked! Lots of times it's the first thing to go on these older dive computers.

I still use my SkinnyDipper, and have never had a problem with this one*.
Honestly have no idea when I bought it. Just that I was much, much younger.

* - first two SkinnyDippers I received jammed during the initial scrolling. Orca replaced both at no cost. Third one worked; still does.

I have an Oceanic Geo 2.0 that has 104 dives on it. No problems at all. It's my backup now that I have a Perdix AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom