Life cycle of a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmmm. That profile pic of yours looks more like a Cobalt than a US Divers model. :wink:

---------- Post added November 29th, 2014 at 10:41 AM ----------

From the You Can't Have Too Many Computers department:

Sent my Oceanic OC1 (which I really like) back to the factory for a weird software issue and two weeks wasn't long enough to get it back (I leave for a trip on Monday). No big deal, I'll just switch transmitters and take my Suunto D6i instead...but I failed to keep an eye on the batteries and it needs new ones which, with that computer, means a trip back to the "authorized battery-switcher" place. Ugh. Out of luck there, too.

Looks like I'm stuck with just my trusty ol' Cobalt--which I really, really like. Somehow I'll get by...

Mark

I love my Cobalt. It is my primary dive computer. I have 6 others computers spread around my family. A couple of Oceanic Pro Plus's, a Mares Nemo Sport, an Oceanic Atom. I use the US Divers Monitor II in conditions I would't put my Cobalt in, like cleaning the bottom of my boat or tubing the Comal, diving at the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville.

....I only bought a new computer last year (first since 1994) because I did not want to pay a fortune to get a new battery in a Uwatec.....
I also did not want to pay a fortune to replace the battery for my Aladin Pro and Pro Nitrox so I learnt how to do it. It is easy albeit a bit messy because of the liquid paraffin oil but it is NOT rocket science.
There are plenty of info in scubaboard and even on you-tube to guide you along.

My phoenix's are still working and i still use them

My phoenix's are still working and i still use them

I like your style.
These went with me on the last trip to the Keys.
Back in the day they did go in for the last upgrade (Phoenix).

Delphi Phoenix.jpg

I like your style.
These went with me on the last trip to the Keys.
Back in the day they did go in for the last upgrade (Phoenix).

View attachment 198674

WOW, I think I went through three of them. They seemed to last 3-4 years and then die. I really liked them. Very easy to read.

I still have a Scubapro EDI that works well. The battery is user replaceable. It is nice and compact, but is still easy to read underwater. Two problems with it are: Super conservative in the 60-80 ft depth range, and the sensors are sensitive and you will have a hard time getting it to shut off in a humid climate.

Neither of those issues bothered me much and I still like it. It mostly gets used on pool dives these days. Its hooked up to my old reg set.

The Edge is still a usable computer just a little big.

A buddy of mine still uses his, it gets some looks. I'll use my Oceanic Veo 200 till it quits, or I have to.

Bob

Well I replaced my 1995 Beuchat Maestro Pro in 2004 for the following reasons:
- It was obviously very aggressive regarding profiles. A couple of friends using the same model did chamber rides while diving within its limits. My wife was occasionally getting skin bends while diving within its standard limits (no adjustment to conservatism). In the end we were using it on 20% conservative.
- Pure DOS interface required, no Windows version, and the interface was necessary to get at the conservatism settings.
- (User replaceable) Battery type was becoming difficult to find and the model was fairly heavy on batteries.
- No Nitrox setting.

---------- Post added December 4th, 2014 at 08:51 AM ----------

..snip..

6.) I don't like digital compasses; I like a Suunto SK7. But you might want a digital compass included. You can still use an analogue compass if you have a digital.

..snip..

This actually raises an interesting point. I just posted on another thread where a diver in Bangkok was complaining of 2 compasses that stopped working.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/scubapro/496916-malfunctioning-wrist-compass.html

I was pointing out that it's just possible that the compass is fine, or would have been considered so, a few years ago.
We are in a phase of weakening of the Earth's magnetic field (as a prelude to pole reversal?) so compass magnets may need to be made stronger to overcome friction.
His location, Bangkok, is already in a pretty weak zone.

See both decay curve and global distribution here:
WHOI Magnetics Group : Temporal Magnetic Variations

The distribution display is interactive and you can step through the century in increments.

This is not the first time I've heard such a complaint and here in Brazil the magnetic field intensity is getting really low. So digital compasses, with no friction, should be able to continue working as long as there is some field to measure.

I don't know any specifics of the other than xDeep OLED's in BLACK dive computer but this quote may offer some ballpark numbers. In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day).
So that's 5 years of 8 hours/day to get to half brightness. I'd say in 99.9% cases you would want some other dive computer due to gadget / technology change sooner than using up "ours" OLED display. In addition xDeep black depth rated to 300 m (version of 500m available) and built bullet proof so it's the perfect candidate for "ever lasting dive computer". Details: http://www.tecdivegear.com/scuba-di...nitrox-oled-dive-computer-black-by-xdeep.html

UWATEC Aladin Smart Z easily 10 plus years old along with a Suunto EON on a air hose that is easily 20 plus years... both still going strong... :wink:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437541871.409450.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom